How serious is my Gynecomastia and what are the solutions? (Photos)

Hi, I'm a 19 year old guy with gynecomastia that I've been living with it for about 8 years. I hate it because it limits me from living life. I always prefer to stay at home while friends hang out & if I go out, I have to wear a tank top/shirt that i pull under my pants in order to hide my breasts. The nipples point out, and I feel glands underneath. I don't know what to do about it, and it really tears me down. I have no self-confidence. How serious is my case, and what can I do about it?

Doctor Answers 6

How serious is your gynecomastia?

Healthy male patients with excess breast tissue or unwanted breast development who have no underlying breast disease.Men who desire improved physical and aesthetic appearance should have realistic expectations based on their condition and the procedure performed. You should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to be able to get a formal diagnosis and to be able to decide on a course of treatment if necessary.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 157 reviews

See a plastic surgeon

Hello and thanks for reaching out to the realself community. You have excessive glandular tissue with minimal associated fat. Male breast reduction surgery will help you tremendously and restore your confidence. See a board certified plastic surgeon for your care and treatment. 


Carlos Burnett, MD, FACS
Westfield Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

How serious is my Gynecomastia and what are the solutions?

I am sorry to hear about the physical and psychosocial problems you have experienced.

In my opinion, the only reliable (and most effective) management of gynecomastia involves surgical excision. When the time is right, seek consultation (with your parents) with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,498 reviews

Who is a Gynecomastia Surgery Candidate

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. 

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding.
Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon is highly suggested in order to determine if you are a surgery candidate and what treatments are best for you.

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 110 reviews

How serious is my Gynecomastia and what are the solutions? (Photos)

Based on your pictures, you appear to have some male breast tissue that can be removed surgically.  Seek a plastic surgeon who has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field. Best of luck.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 293 reviews

Excision of breast tissue

You seem to have a small amount of male breast tissue called gynecosmastia. This is removed surgically and liposuctioned as well.   Most of the time when I have patients like you I make a small incision around the areola and directly remove the breast tissue.  Sometimes I use drains and we also do compression vest.  Go to a board certified plastic surgeon for best results.  Good luck!

Andrew T. Cohen, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 44 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.