Are there any benefits with PRP? (photo)

I have just undergone a hairtransplant (FUE method) on 10 march 2014 After the Transplant I received a PRP treatment. Does anybody know if there are any benefits with PRP? I also 10 days after the transplant still suffer from soreness and mild pain from the donor area

Science of prp

The federal website on medical research covers such topics and so far has not shown any advantage of PRP in any large double blind randomized studies.  So far it is a gimmeck, but that may change with time. 

Houston Dermatologist

Nobody Knows

The positive or negative effects of PRP yet.  There are no studies of substance that show it works or doesn't work.  I think most hair transplant surgeons are taking a wait and see approach to PRP.  While it probably doesn't cause any harm, it may also be a waste of money and time.  Soreness is quite normal 1-2 weeks after surgery but should improve over time.  Good follow is essential to a good result so see you doctor with any concerns. 

Adam Saad, MD
Atlantic City Plastic Surgeon

Benefits of PRP.

A recent poll (survey) of PRP experts suggests that it benefits 50-70 % of men with genetic hair loss. Rigorous scientific studies still need to be conducted but expert consensus supports its use. 

Regarding donor area pain, it is important to check with your physician so that he or she can examine up close

If you don't mind spending the money it probably will not hurt.

There is no need for PRP after hair transplant surgery. Ask your doctor. Some doctors may advocate it but there is no clear research or benefit to justify its use.  If you don't mind spending the money it probably will not hurt.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

​Re: Benefits of PRP After A Hair Transplant

The rejuvenating effects of Platelet Rich Plasma have not been supported by research studies. Although there are reports of hair growth after PRP treatments, it is not clear if this is from the platelet growth factors or due to the skin’s natural healing process from the wounds which are created as part of the PRP procedure. Photographs of results have not illustrated convincing outcomes which can serve as reliable forms of evidence to support the effectiveness of PRP.

Successful hair yield after a hair transplant depends on selecting the right follicles (i.e. non-miniaturized) and handling them appropriately to help ensure their ability to survive in their new location. This involves avoiding mechanical trauma, air drying and warm storage temperatures.

Therefore, an experienced doctor would be able to orchestrate the conditions needed to procure expected growth.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

PRP after a hair transplant

There is no scientific proof that this treatment really makes a difference, however many of my colleagues believe it helps hair growth and provide the treatment for minimal costs. I have seen some significant anecdotal case responses done by others.

It looks like you had some good work done. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

PRP does help with wound healing, and when combined with ECM helps with donor area healing and thickening existing hair

Platelet-rich plasma is used in several fields such as orthopedic surgery and oral surgery as well as in wound care medicine. It is very well established to help wound healing. In the hair restoration field, many people have used platelet-rich plasma very effectively to treat hair loss as a single type of treatment and to facilitate healing whether it’s in the donor area or the areas of the grafts.

In our practice, we use platelet-rich plasma routinely combined with a material called extracellular matrix. Extracellular matrix is a material that’s derived from pig bladder that is originally designed for wound healing. We use it when we close our donor area and find that the healing is exceptional. Many people are concerned about the scars from the strip method. By combining good surgical technique, right patient and the use of extracellular matrix and platelet-rich plasma, we had very nice healing in our donor areas. In addition, we have been using platelet-rich plasma with extracellular matrix to actually treat hair loss. So, for our patient, whether we do a transplant or not, we are able to help them with the progression of hair thinning.

In my clinical experience, platelet-rich plasma does help in healing. As far as soreness is concerned, there is going to be soreness for some time. It is normal for an area where there was surgical trauma, which is controlled trauma, to have inflammation and some tenderness which is typically normal. If there is severe pain or fever that is a different story, but that is something that you have been very well instructed by your doctor. At this point, continue communicating with your doctor and I hope that my answer was helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck and thank you for your question.

This personalized video answer to your question is posted on RealSelf hosted through YouTube. If you prefer not to have your video question visible on YouTube, please contact us

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

PRP before or after hair transplants

There is no documented proof or any conclusive scientific evidence, in any of the peer reviewed medical / surgical journals, that has shown any benefit of PRP either before or after hair transplants.