The bad consequences of breast lift?

Hi, Im 19 years old and in some years i defiantly want to do a breast lift and make my areoles smaller. I´ve googled a little bit and i have come across few websites that have said that you can't breastfeed after you make a surgery like that. And my question is if its true? If i have breast lift and make my areoles smaller, will it effect my chance of being able to breastfeed in the future? This of course makes me worried...

Breast Feeding After Breast Lift

Your ability to breast feed after any breast procedure largely depends on the techniques and methods used by your plastic surgeon. To ensure optimum results you can live happily with, not only cosmetically but emotionally and physically, speak with your board-certified plastic surgeon to develop a personalized treatment plan. By doing this, you can work together to help get the results you want to achieve. Best of luck!

Breastlift and areolar reduction

Whether breast lift and areolar reduction procedures have an effect on breast feeding depends on the level of breast sagging and a surgical technique. They may not have an effect on breast feeding at all or may have a few impacts. I would recommend you consult with a board certified surgeon for more detailed information.

Tanongsak Panyawirunroj, MD
Thailand Plastic Surgeon

Risks of Surgery

A mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used for breasts which sag or droop (ptosis). Sagging of the breasts may occur with normal development for some women, or as part of the aging process. Pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss are other conditions which increase breast ptosis. Some patients will have a better shape to their breast such as increased superior fullness if an implant is used at the time of mastopexy. The procedure can also be combined with a minor breast reduction to reduce the breast width if desired. The surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the procedure will create nipple and areolae of the desired size and at the correct height. I prefer to  use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring.

Now, you should know that having any of the lift procedures where the incision is made around the areola can possibly provide later difficulty with breastfeeding. It would be best to make this a primary question in consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in order to help determine which procedure would be best to achieve your desired results.

Breast Feeding after Breast Lift

The milk ducts and nipples are left intact, so the breast lift surgery usually will not affect your ability to breastfeed. Consult in person with an experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeon to understand your options. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

The bad consequences of breast lift?

Some of the risks/potential complications associated with breast reduction surgery include:  infection, bleeding, seroma, hematoma, wound healing problems, abnormal scarring ( hypertrophic or keloid),  loss of sensation, inability to breast-feed, breast asymmetry, necrosis of tissue or skin,  unsatisfactory cosmetic results, unpredictability of exact cup size postoperatively,  recurrence of the breast ptosis, and the potential for further surgery.  Other risks  related to surgery in general include deep venous thrombosis (clots),  pulmonary embolism, pneumonia  and even death.

Fortunately, the majority of patients who undergo this procedure by well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons and board certified anesthesiologists do very well and complications tend  to be relatively minor and treatable. The severe complications are very rare.

Breast feeding after Breast uplift.

Not necessarily. Although some breast tissue is disconnected from the nipple, most of the breast tissue remains in continuity with the nipple and the patient can potentially breast feed afterwards in most

The bad consequences of breast lift?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well!! The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. The milk ducts and nipples are left intact, so the breast lift surgery usually will not affect your ability to breastfeed. I recommend to make an appointment with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a personal consultation and to talk about goals and concerns!

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD