Why won't dr do it En Bloc? Why is it they will not give my breast implants back? Should I stay clear of these doctors? (Photo)

I think it is BS that it's going to cost me more money to get my breast implants taken out then it did to have them put in my body is obviously have an allergic reaction it is making me very very ill I don't think this is something I should be charged for. I was also told that these new gel adhesive gummy bear implants can not break & 3 days after first surgery of implants I had one rupture & it was leaking silicone for 6 months n my body before they found it 6 months later to fix a double bubble

Upset with doctors who aren't managing my ruptured implant correctly

Thank you for asking about your ruptured breast implant.

• I completely understand your distress with an unexpected complication.
  • The situation is confusing if in fact you knew after three days you had a ruptured implant and six months later your surgeon found the ruptured implant while fixing a double bubble and did not remove or replace the implant.
  • You are clearly (in my opinion) much too angry with your current surgeon to have her/him do more surgery.
  • I suggest you get a second opinion from another qualified plastic surgeon - taking with you copies of your operative records and photos so s/he can understand the situation clearly
  • It is possible that once you have a second opinion, you may be reassured and may return to your original surgeon so don't burn your bridges.
  • Your original surgeon is likely to do the implant removal at a lower cost than other plastic surgeons.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Ruptured implants

If you have ruptured implants I recommend finding out if you have a warranty on them . Both Allergan and Mentor offer a limited warranty for rupture. The warranty may offset the cost or a portion of the cost of the surgery.

En bloc removal is possible and usually recommended to keep the silicone within the capsule. That being said the gummy bear implants should retain the material within the implant itself. 

If you're  unhappy with your current situation, I recommend obtaining a second opinion.

A double bubble is not related to the ruptured implant . It is caused by violating the inframammary fold, when the implant drops below the fold . Thus creating the double bubble appearance. 

Johnny Shea-Yuan Chung, MD, FACS
Allentown Plastic Surgeon

Implants

By OSHA standards, ruptured implants cannot be given back to the patient since they have been in contact with tissue fluids and blood and cannot be sterilized. If your capsule is very thin, it may not be possible to be completely removed without causing more damage to your tissue. I would suggest discussing all your concerns with your surgeon.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

En bloc removal

There are not enough details about your situation to determine what is right or not.  In many cases removal of the entire capsule if possible is recommended, but it is not always possible due to thin tissues, etc..  Good luck.

En bloc breast implant removal...

I am sorry to hear about the problems you have experienced.   Based on your description, it sounds like en bloc  removal of the breast implants may be indicated (if there are concerns about a ruptured silicone gel implants and/or "breast implant illness").  

Generally, en bloc breast implant removal refers to a procedure where the breast implant and the surrounding capsule is removed as a single unit.  The procedures is performed such that the  contents within the breast implant capsule do not come into contact with the surrounding tissues.  Generally, the procedure requires a longer incision (6-7 centimeter) usually in the inframammary fold, in my experience.  Also, in my experience, the procedure is more successful when capsules are thickened as opposed to when patients are very thin (normal) capsules.  Also,  sometimes complete capsulectomy is not safely possible;  for example, breast implants place in the sub muscular position may have a capsule that can be  densely adherent to the patient's rib cage. Removal of this posterior capsule can be potentially dangerous.

Cost of surgery will depend on many variables including complexity and length of surgery.  Different institutions will have different policies when it comes to management of removed implants;  in other words, this will vary from one practice to another.

Ultimately, it will be important that you select a board-certified plastic surgeon who you feel comfortable will safely accomplish your goals. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Why won't dr do it En Bloc? Why is it they will not give my breast implants back? Should I stay clear of these doctors?

Something is not clear in this case. It is usually easier to remove implants but if they are ruptured, it may be harder as the capsule and implant material needs to be removed. Talk more with your surgeon to get a better explanation of what is going on. If still not satisfied, consider a second opinion. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS