Travelling after lower bleph. Can I use public transport?

I'm having a lower bleph done with a good surgeon. I've been told that it's ok to take the train home. ( 4 hour trip). The op is being done under sedation and local anaesethic. It would certainly be cheaper to go home this way, but I would not get back to my home town until almost 11.pm. I would be travelling alone. I've also been told I would not have to see him the next morning, but only when the stitches come out. I'm getting cold feet! Please what do you think? P.s. I live alone and don't drive.

Travelling after surgery

I would not allow this in my office, especially the day of surgery. I would stay overnight and examine the patient the next morning. I would have someone accompany you home the day after surgery. 

Fort Lauderdale Oculoplastic Surgeon

I would not allow my patients to travel by public transportation after a lower lid blepharoplasty and would not perform the surgery under this condition. You need ice soaks immediately after surgery, and you should be seen by the PS the next day if you live hours away. Who on the train is going to help you if you have a problem? Also you should have ice soaks at least the first night after surgery (better for two days). And my patients use ointment in their eyes after surgery which blurs your vision, particularly if you have a transconjunctival incision (inside the eyelid). In addition, you should have a responsible adult stay with you the night after surgery to help with your various needs. 

Thank you for your question and best of luck to you.

Blepharoplasty

Thank you for your question. It is best for you to have a friend drive you home. You may need additional attention (i.e. car sickness, helping you carry your things) that is best provided by a friend acting as your chauffeur for the afternoon. That is correct that you will next see your surgeon when the stitches come out. Surgeons will also call their patients after surgery to check on the initial healing and recovery process.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Traveling four hours after a lower blepharoplasty procedure

First of all, it's important to be within 30 minutes of your operative surgeon for the first couple of days after the procedure in case there are any Emergency post-operative issues that need to be addressed.  When having any type of sedation or general anesthesia is mandatory that you have responsible adult  to be your caretaker, so that  person can be able to get you back to the office if necessary. Traveling on a train for four hours by yourself after a invasive surgical procedure is a very bad idea 

Traveling after surgery

I require all patients to have an escort to take them home aafter a procedure & would advise against traveling alone after sugary. Even if you have an escort who takes the train with you I would recommend getting up and walking a bit during the ride home to prevent a DVT. Best of luck to you.

John Allan Ness, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Traveling After Surgery?

Thank you for your question!  I would not advise you to go home unattended.  I do not allow my patients to travel alone after surgery.  I suggest you find someone to possibly take you home and stay with you the first night, or talk to your doctor about an in home nurse.  Best of luck!

Dr Dhaval Patel

Double Board Certified

Plastic Surgeon

Chicago

Hoffman Estates

Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Eyes

canteranne, that would not be allowed in my office. See an experience specialist that does "only faces". See the video and good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Traveling after surgery

Does not sound like a good plan.  I do not allow my patients to leave unescorted, and taking a train home for 4 hours sounds a bit far and may increase your risk of developing a DVT in your legs.  

Traveling after eyelid surgery under sedation

it would be safest and more appropriate if you stayed in the area to first post op night ,so,in the unlikely event you have a problem, you are close to your surgeon. It would be perfectly safe to travel after that.

Michael H. Wojtanowski, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Traveling post bleph

I think the wise thing would be to stay with a friend after the surgery for the first nite.I would not want one of my sedated aptients goiung home alone.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon