Are there any new hair loss medications on the horizon?

Have any new treatments become available or are there any promising new treatments coming? I'm curious about medication which works in a way that doesn't change natural hormone levels. Minoxidil didn't work for me and i don't want to take propecia because i've had sexual side effects.

The “Organic Hair Transplantation” method is a novel development in modern hair transplantation surgery practice which was developed with the efforts of our research and development department. Now; our successful hair transplantation results has evolved to a new era thanks to the “Organic Hair Transplantation” method. We can consider this new method as a revolutionary development.

“Organic Hair Transplantation” is based on injection of a mixture containing adipose derived stem cells obtained from own fat tissue of the patient to the scalp of the patient. The recipient area gets rejuvenated and the viability of transplanted grafts is increased with the effects of adipose derived stem cell injection. The injection of adipose derived stem cells also provides a better work area for the surgeon.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Medical Hair Loss Treatment

There are many options to keep your hair follicles stimulated and growing hair. These are good when your hair is thinning. Once you have developed some bald spots, hair transplant will be indicated. 
In 95% of men, the reason for hair loss is genetic, and is called androgenic alopecia. In women suffering from hair loss, 50-65% have a genetic etiology. Women tend to have other variants that could affect hair loss such as thyroid problems, anemia, low protein diets, hormonal imbalance (e.g. pregnancies, menopause, OCP). 

The most common trends in medical treatment of hair loss include the following alternatives: 

1. Medical Treatment:

Propecia (Generic name: Finasteride) - This is the only FDA-approved medication for hair loss in males. The pill works great preventing further hair loss and in many patients it results in new hair growth. The pill needs to be taken on a daily basis. If you were to stop taking the pill, the results you have seen will go away. I usually tell my patients to tke it as a daily "vitamin" for the hair. I recommend always to buy the actual Propecia brand (not the generic) and to take it in the morning. I have not seen a patient develop symptoms of decreased libido with this regimen. You will need a script for Propecia from your doctor. The dosage for men is 1mg/day. The pill is not covered by insurance for hair loss, even thought it is approved by the FDA for that cause. The cost may vary from $80-100/month.
The use of Propecia in women has been under study for some years now. Some of the recent studies suggest good outcomes, and safety with Propecia use in women. The effective dosing for women is not known. It is believed that higher doses (e.g. 5mg/day) may be needed in women. Birth defects with the use of Propecia have been reported and this drug should be avoided in women during childbearing stages. 

Spironolactone (which is a Blood Pressure medication) has been use in women also for hair loss. This drug has some anti-androgenic characteristics that have shown  

Minoxidil (e.g. Rogaine) - is the other FDA approved medication for androgenic alopecia. There is now a Rogaine for women. Most people do not like the Rogaine because it can cause scalp irritation, and also could leave the hair grease.

2. PRP (Platelet-Rich Plasma) - studies have shown good results after 3 initial treatments (one month apart from each other). Some patients may need a booster every 12-18 months.

3. Hair Products: There are many different brands of hair products available. It is best if you by your products at your doctors office. I prefer the DuCray Hair Products. They come in a 3 month supply kit, which brings a scalp shampoo, vitamins for the hair, and a spray. The products smell good and do not leave the hair greasy. I personally use them and the results are very good. I like this kit because of the clinical results, and the easy of use.

4. Low Level Light Therapy - This is another very efficacious technology used to stimulate your hair follicles. There are many brands that use this technology. HairMax is probably the most known product out there. I like their laserband because it only needs to be used for 1.5min 3x/week. 

Hope this information was helpful. Good luck!

Hair loss -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Finesteride, Spironolactone

I suggest seeing an expert to evaluate your hair loss and start non invasive options like PRP/progesterone or consider transplantation. Viviscal works for hair loss and is best in combination with other hair loss treatments. Please see an expert for a consultation. Best, Dr. Emer.

New medication

There is a topical finasteride that is available in some European countries in in the hands of a few Canadians. For those who get sexual side effects, this approach to finasteride offers great opportunity. It is not yet available in the US.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon