What do I need to research?

What kind of procedures should I be researching? Right above my c section incision are dimples which give a very round fatty appearance to my stomach. I can feel knots under there and this is my second csection so I'm thinking scar tissue. What's the least invasive way to fix this problem? When I wear pants my stomach looks flat, so this is more to fix the way I look naked/ in A bathing suit. Thank you!!

Doctor Answers 8

Stomach Problem above C-Section Scar

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This is, unfortunately a relatively common problem after a C-Section or other GYN procedures. It can usually be corrected with a mini-tummytuck procedure with liposuction, frequently in the office with local anesthesia. Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon for a complete consultation to determine exactly what your options are.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

What do I need to research?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  The best recommendation would be to see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to have the best treatment options discussed. An in-person evaluation is essential to identify and discuss your concerns, as well as your desired outcome.  Depending on the timing since your C-section you may need to allow more time to pass to allow your incision time to fully heal and mature, which allows for softening and fading of the scar.  If it has been a year or longer since your procedure you may be a candidate for a scar revision or perhaps a mini tummy tuck.  Hope this helps.

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 80 reviews

Best solution for stomach that is not smooth

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

IMHO, you will be able to return to your BC (before childbirth) days with a mini tummy tuck. During that procedure , all of the scarring from the C-sections should be removed.

Sheldon Lincenberg, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Post C- section bulge and scar

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question and helpful picture.
The least invasive way to improve your situation would be a wide excision of your scar. This maneuver would remove the scar tissue and minimize the 'dimpling' of skin right above it. This can be done successfully under local anesthesia in the office. A Mini TT would remove most of the dimpling, but the incision would need to be extended in order to avoid unsightly dog ears.
I hope this helps.
Best wishes,

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 230 reviews

Treatment of a Post C-section Pouch

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
For the best results seek the consultation of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. They have a website listing all the certified plastic surgeons. Members of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery will all be board certified in plastic surgery and have demonstrated an interest and special skill in cosmetic plastic surgery as well.

If you're most interested in a non-invasive treatment, consider Exilis. This is an in-office procedure (4 treatments at 2-3 week intervals) which can both reduce the fatty fullness and tighten the loose skin. It will not give you a surgical result but from the photos you may be a good candidate for this procedure. We've been using this device in our office for nearly three years now and been extremely impressed with the results!

Again, the best thing to do is consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. For more information about Exilis please go to the web link below.

Alexander G. Nein, MD, MS, FACS
Nashville Plastic Surgeon

Scar post c section

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Proabably a little direct excision and a bit of liposuction above the scar to debulk it.Could be done under local.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 69 reviews

Dimpled C-section scar

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question.  It is not uncommon to have some irregularity or dimpling of a c-section scar.  Potential solutions include a revision of the scar or a mini tummy tuck which will remove the old scar and flatten the bottom part of the abdomen.  To be sure, consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.  Hope this helps!

Tummy tuck after C section

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The knots you feel are part of the normal healing process. You can just let this heal over the next year or consider a mini tummy tuck if these persist.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.