5 weeks post op, I have nerve pain and burning. Any suggestions? (photos)

I am close to 5 weeks out from a Breast Reduction/Lift and a Mini Tummy Tuck with Lipo suction. I have severe raw burning pain in my abdomen that is unbearable!!! I have been prescribes Neurotin, but do not think it does that much. I honestly cannot stand the pain. Are there any natural supplements that I can try that may help to lessen the nerve pain while my nerves regenerate? Also, How long am I in for this awful pain???

Pain Management after your Mommy Makeover

Pain varies per person and medication to control #discomfort will be provided. Healing will continue for 2-3 months for the early period. This includes some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation in the breasts may also be abnormal and scars will be evolve. Tingling, burning or shooting pains in the breasts will disappear with time and should not alarm you. It is simply a result of the regeneration of your sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage per your surgeon's permission may help.

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Pain management

Thank you for your question and photo.  You should address this question directly with your operating surgeon.  Maintaining an open dialogue with him/her is essential to ensure the best post-op healing.  

Dr Derby

You might talk to your doctor regarding another type of medication to help you bear this uncomfortable sensation or pain. The nerves growing back cause this painful sensation and it will get better over time. Keep in close contact with your surgeon at all times. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

5 weeks post op, I have nerve pain and burning. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your question,

If very common to have this type of discomfort after multiple procedures, Follow up with your surgeon if pain don't get better. Best luck to you. 

Orlando Llorente, MD

Post op

What you are describing is very common and will resolve over time.  What you are experiencing is your nerves are growing back and will cause some pain and electricity over the next few months. 

Nerve pain

There are other medication options to manage nerve pain and you might consider discussing those with your surgeon.  The burning pain is not uncommon and can persists for months sometimes but does typically improve over time.  Try ice packs and discuss with your surgeon

Levi J. Young, MD
Overland Park Plastic Surgeon

5 weeks post op, I have nerve pain and burning.

Thank you for your question. A more detailed description of your signs and symptoms, as well as a health history is required to provide any suggestions. Please see your surgeon and possibly family doctor. 

Have a wonderful day. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD