Sutures After Rhinoplasty?

I had my rhinoplasty done little over 1,5 months ago and still have suture in one of my nostrils . When I tried to pull it out it hurts. So I left it along cause don't want any damage done. What should I expect?is it normal time frame for suters to stay in and not to fall off? Thanks!

Sutures after Rhinoplasty #nosejob

Most internal sutures are dissolvable. If you had splints placed on each side that were sewn in place then a small peace of that suture can be left behind. That is usually a suture that will not dissolve. I would see your surgeon and have them take a look.

Sutures after Rhinoplasty #nosejob

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Retained sutures 1 1/2 months after rhinoplasty

Most internal sutures used for rhinoplasties should be dissolved by 1 1/2 months. However, if the remaining suture inside your nose is bothersome, your plastic surgeon should be able to easily remove it in the office. Follow up with your surgeon and your problem should be solved. Thanks for sharing your concerns and question. Best wishes.

Rhinoplasty Sutures

I would recommend a return visit to your plastic surgeon so that they may remove any remaining sutures in the nasal cavity.  Sutures used on the inside of the nose will not be permanent in nature but if they haven't dissolved at this point it would be worth a quick visit to have any remaining suture material removed. 
Best Regards,

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD
Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Sutures

Best Regards,

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD
Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

After rhinoplasty sometimes even dissolvable stitches benefit from removal.

Permanent sutures are usually removed a week or so after rhinoplasty. Many surgeons will use delicate dissolvable sutures which usually fall out in a couple of weeks. When this doesn't happen the patient may benefit by having him removed the same as permanent sutures are removed.

Sutures after Rhinoplasty

Usually the sutures dissolve over time.  Schedule an appointment with your Plastic Surgeon for a follow up appointment.  I'm sure he will remove the suture for you.

Sutures after Rhinoplasty

Sutures After Rhinoplasty?

Hello and thanks for your question.

Usually these sutures are dissolving sutures and sometimes they take a lot longer to dissolve. If they are annoying you please ask you PS to remove them which is as easy as cutting hair. Try not to pull them as you may damage some tissue and cause bleeding.

Sutures After Rhinoplasty?

Hello and thanks for your question.

Sutures Vary

Some doctors use sutures such as PDS that dissolve over 3-6 months. Others use Permanant sutures such as nylon or prolene which won't dissolve. It's best for you to go see you doctor to ascertain what was used in your specific rhinoplasty. 

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Sutures Vary

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Sutures After Rhinoplasty?

If there is still a suture present, return to the surgeon for suture removal after an exam.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Sutures After Rhinoplasty?

Residual suture from rhinoplasty

Hi Elena16342,

Although the majority of internal, dissolvable sutures placed during rhinoplasty are gone after 4-6 weeks in some cases there can be sutures that last longer. You really should have your surgeon check out the suture to make sure it is okay to remove. As long as it's okay your surgeon should be able to trim the suture.

Depending on the surgical technique used there may be instances where a supporting suture can still be present (by design) after 1 and a half months. That's why you shouldn't just remove the suture yourself.

Residual suture from rhinoplasty

Hi Elena16342,

Suture after rhinoplasty

Internal sutures from rhinoplasty usually dissolve within a few weeks. This may be a permanent suture and best to allow your surgeon to remove it.

Suture after rhinoplasty