How old do scars have to be to have them Fraxeled?

I had acne until I statred to take the pill. They are gone now, however I'm stuck with a few scars. I'm a fair skinned Caucasian.

Acne Scar Treatment

Thank you for your question. After the active acne has completely resolved, I generally wait 9 months before treating acne scars with a laser in an adult. I hope this helps!

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Acne Scar Treatment Timing

In treating acne scars the most important thing regarding timing, is that the acne has settled completely.  By this I mean it has been completely clear for at least 3 to 6 months.  If picking of acne has been a significant part of the scarring, it is really important that this has been dealt with and stopped.  If acne activity is borderline this will result in new scars if it flares up after scar treatment, also it is not impossible that treatment may aggravate the acne if it is started too early.  If you have been on oral isotretinoin treatment, most specialists believe this should have stopped for at least 6/12 prior to scar treatment (except for Vbeam for redness and is very gentle).
There are a variety of treatments available for acne scarring depending on the severity and type of scarring. These include injection of filler agents, submission and a variety of laser treatments range from relatively mild Fractional non-ablative e.g. Fraxel Dual 1550 up to ablative (multiple treatments needed) to long downtime (fewer or single treatment) Fractional ablative laser e.g. Fraxel Repair.
It is also important to know that while we can improve scarring to some degree it never can be made perfect.
The best advice is to see a Dermatologist for personalised advice and treatment or recommendation  regarding an appropriately experienced sub-specialized Dermatologist in your area.

Phillip Bekhor, MBBS, FACD
Melbourne Dermatologist

Acne scar treatments

The best time is when you don't have active acne present and just have scarring. Usually this is about 60-90 days after you've finished whatever acne regimen you are on.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Acne Scars and Fraxel Treatment

Acne scars are treated effectively with the Fraxel laser.  After 3 months it will generally be the correct time to treat these scars.  The Fraxel with the 1550 wavelength is the perfect setting to treat these scars effectively.  If there are any scars that are just red I would suggest the V-Beam to help eliminate the redness alone.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with lasers and the Fraxel laser for the best cosmetic results.