Would it be possible to only shorten the longer side? (Photo)

My left side has always been longer and is the part that causes me discomfort and makes me feel abnormal. I don't want them both trimmed just evened up a bit.

One side only labiaplasty

Hello and thanks for your photo
It's very possible to do a one-sided labiaplasty to improve symmetry. Your surgeon won't be able to guarantee exact symmetry, even after surgery, but it's reasonable to think that you could become more even and improve your discomfort. Please choose an experienced labiaplasty surgeon!
Best wishes-

One side only labiaplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello and thanks for your photo
Best wishes-

Asymmetry Can Be Solved

Women have a wide range of normal  color, texture, size and asymmetries of their genitalia. This is true of the Vulva and all of its parts, the same as other parts of the body. Candidates for #labiaplasty and #vaginal surgery include women concerned about the appearance of their genitals , or those who experience discomfort, pain or difficulty with sexual relations.  Moisture can create problems such as yeast infections. Therefore, if this asymmetry is causing you discomfort or other problems then you have the right to determine yourself as a candidate for surgery. Simply look into local certified plastic surgeons who perform the labiaplasty, and research all the info needed to make sure you can achieve your desired results. Best wishes.

Asymmetry Can Be Solved

Unilateral labiaplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. You would be an excellent candidate for labia minoraplasty and prepuce reduction. You certainly can have a unilateral labiaplasty done but from the photo it is apparant that you would benefit from surgery on both sides to help make this as symmetric as possible.  You may be a candidate from the photo for a prepuce reduction as well to keep the lines natural in appearance.

The labiaplasty can be done in various ways. We tend to prefer a longitudinal incision from top to bottom over a wedge resection . The reasons for this are several: the incisional scar becomes invisible to the naked eye; there is far less chance of interrupting the major vascular supply to the labia which would result in necrosis in the center of the labia and a hole that needs to be repaired or reconstructed; this prevents placing thickened darkened labial tissue on top juxtaposed to a thinner less dark labial tissue on the bottom which does not look natural; this prevents a scar in the middle of the labia perpendicular to its orientation and therefore more obvious in its appearance. The prepuce must be done by an experienced surgeon as lack of experience in this particular procedure can result in less than desireable results or complications. Finally, performing labiaplasty without the prepuce reduction can result in a very unnatural and undesirable appearance which will need to be revised in the future. So be sure you find a doctor experienced in the particular aspects of each of these and best of luck! I hope this helps

Scott M GulinsonMD
ObGyn and cosmetic vulvovaginal surgeon.
Glendale AZ

Unilateral labiaplasty

Scott M GulinsonMD
Glendale AZ

One Side Labiaplasty

Yes, one side labiaplasty can definitely be performed. The goal in labiaplasty is to make the labia as even as possible, although exact symmetry cannot be guaranteed. Often, one side needs to be shortened more than the other side, or one side not altered at all.

One Side Labiaplasty

That's perfectly fine

Everyone has a different goal with their labiaplasty, and it isn't about trying to create some idealized anatomical appearance. The same is true with all of plastic and reconstructive surgery. The "normal" is just a guide, but everyone is unique and has their own preferences.
You'll need to find a doctor who won't just trim the one side, but create an extended wedge pattern: keeping the normal edge of the labia will allow there to be the closest match possible.
Be very selective. Doubtful that the GYN has this technique available. Travel if you need to...

That's perfectly fine

Asymmetrical labia

Yes, only one side can be treated.  This is a very common occurrence. Surgical (unilateral labiaplasty) is the quickest way to achieve it but non invasive modalities may shave off a few mm each time.  Seek a labiaplasty surgeon in your area. 

Asymmetrical labia

Would it be possible to only shorten the longer side?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  Achieving improved symmetry is a common desire of patients and a unilateral labiaplasty allows for this correction.   Be sure to see a surgeon well-versed in aesthetic and reconstructive labiaplasties.  

Labioplasty

Thank you for your time. Laser Reduction Labiaplasty of the Labia Minora with Reduction of Excess Prepuce (LRL) is the second most common Female Genital Cosmetic Surgery procedure. LRL is a popular procedure for women wishing to reduce the appearance of the large or protruding labia minora, either both or just one side. The point of the procedure is for both labia minoras to be of equal length. 

I recommend a consultation in order to receive detailed information as well as a personalized quote. 

Labioplasty

Unilateral labiaplasty?

Yes, unequivocally! I have operated on many women who have no issue with one side, but have an enlarged side they wish "matched" with the other side. One word of (wise, I think...) advice: MAKE SURE that you choose a surgeon who has done many procedures and is skilled in BOTH(!) curvilinear/trim and V-wedge modifications, as the correct procedure will depend on the contour and positioning of the smaller labum. The video below, and the weblink described the different techniques. If you are operated on by a surgeon who can do only 1 type of repair, the odds go down from 90% to 50% that the 2 sides will match... Be prepared to "travel:" you may not find the proper surgeon "...in your backyard!"

Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA

Unilateral labiaplasty?

Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA

Definitely!

Many women seek to achieve symmetry when one of their labia is significantly bigger than the other and it is certainly something that any qualified surgeon can do.  One word of caution, however, is that it may not be a reasonable expectation to have the both sides be exact mirror images of each other, even with surgery.  If I were to see you at a consultation, we would have a long discussion about your expectations and I would explain that during surgery, we inject the labia with anesthetic ("numbing solution"), which results in some distortion of the tissue, making it appear swollen and even larger than it was.  Secondly, every person heals differently and much of that is beyond the control of either the surgeon or the patient.  Obviously, any decent surgeon will do his or her best to ensure a symmetric result, but no one can guarantee it.  I would even go so far as to say that you should EXPECT to have some degree of asymmetry, but the result should still be much better than the current situation.  Thank you for your question and good luck!  Please post an update to let us know how everything went.

Definitely!