Can massage help reduce swelling after cool sculpting? (photos)

Hi, I just had cool sculpting of my abdomen (upper and lower, 5 cycles in total) a few days ago and I'm super swollen. I know this is normal and it will resolve over the next few weeks but I'm wondering if I get a lymphatic massage to my stomach if it will help reduce the swelling faster? Are there any negative outcomes if I decide to get a massage to the stomach area? Thank you.

Swelling after Coolsculpting

I advise my patient to wear spanx for a couple weeks after Coolsculpting the midsection to reduce delayed onset pain and swelling.  Massage doesn't hurt... just not sure it will help either.

Can massage help with swelling after Coolsculpting?

Hi,The swelling is common for the first week after coolsculpting.  There are no negative outcomes to a massage and in fact the massage may help with the uptake of the dead fat cells.  What really helps with the swelling is using a compression garment or a simple wide Ace wrap for the first week.
Warmly,Dr. Liu

Grace Liu, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Can massage help reduce swelling after cool sculpting?

Thank you for your question. It is normal to feel swollen after a CoolSculpting procedure. This swelling can last up to 2-3 weeks. A massage will not have any negative outcomes, however, it may not help with the swelling. A compression garment may help. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Swelling after Coolsculpting

What you are describing is completely normal after this many cycles on the abdomen.  I don't believe that lymphatic massage would have much effect at this point to reduce swelling.  I also don't believe it would cause any harm.  The swelling you describe will resolve in several days to weeks.  Best of luck!

CoolSculpting Swelling and Bruising -- Use Cellutone/Z Wave After and Venus Legacy / Vanqish

Coolsculpting can cause bruising and swelling for weeks after the procedure.  Venus legacy can give improvement and massage.  I suggest sculpsure in the future as it has no downtime or risk of these side effects.   We combine other treatments to get an improved outcome.  Best, Dr. Emer

Massage To Help Reduce Swelling After CoolSculpting

Thanks for your question. You are right that the swelling will eventually resolve on its own after a couple of weeks. Getting a lymphatic massage won't have any negative effects on your treatment, but at this point it probably won't help much with your swelling either. Best wishes.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Swelling is not at all uncommon after Coolsculpting, particularly after having multiple treatment areas performed as you had. Yes, lymphatic massage can help your body reduce the swelling somewhat faster, although it will absolutely improve on its own. Remember that massage will not change the long term results of your treatment, or teh amount of fat reduction you may see, but can help in the short term simply for the swelling.

Craig Schwartz, DO
Leawood Vascular Surgeon

Massage After Coolsculpting

I wish you would post "before" photos as well to see the degree of swelling.  Massage will have no difference on the swelling or outcome.  You had a lot of areas done in one time and I often encourage patients to split up so many treatments to two separate visits. Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green