Am I a good candidate for Jaw reduction with botox? Can botox also reduce big cheeks?

I have an appointment for a jaw reduction with botox and I am concerned as to how many units should I have? Also, can that procedure cause sagging on jowls? If yes, what can I do to prevent this from happening? Would also the treatment reduce my big cheeks? Thanks

Botox for masseters

From your photos, it does appear that your master muscle looks enlarged.  Injecting botox in this area (15-25 units per side) should help soften the area over time.  It will not affect your cheeks, and will not cause a sagging jowls.  Hope this helps!

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Injecting the masseters

The massater muscles along the lateral jaw, near the angle of the jaw, can hypertrophy from clenching and grinding the teeth. I would not recommend you weaken them too much, but some relaxation of these muscles can result in a softer look to a female's face shape. The injections also can help TMJ symptoms as well as headaches.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Botox for jaw reduction? Cheeks?

If the prominence in the region of the angle of your mandible is due to an enlarged or prominent masseter muscle you should consider injection of botox or Xeomin.  When appropriate, the softening of that area can be striking and beneficial. I generally use 20-25 units per side.  Give it a try but don't expect any change in the remainder of your face especially your cheeks.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca 

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Botox Reduces Jawline, But Not Cheeks

Your jawline can be slimmed with about 20 units of Botox. Relaxing the masseter muscle does not create jowling. Botox cannot be used to slim the cheeks, but I do not see overdeveloped cheeks in your photo. If you feel your lower face is too heavy, you might consider building up your cheekbones with fillers or implants. But wait until you see the results of your slimmer jawline; that may be all you need to feel happier about your appearance. I hope this helps.

Botox for the Masseters

Botox is a good choice for slimming the masseter and contouring the jawline. Botox will not cause your jowls to sag or reduce your cheeks. I recommend seeing an expert injector for an in person consultation to determine your treatment plan.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Heart shaped face

If the wideness of the lower face is caused by a muscle bulge, then botox or xeomin will help slim the lower part of the face.  It is hard for me to tell from the pictures, an in person exam gives the most information.  You can test yourself; bite down as hard as you can.  If you see the lower 1/3 of your face widen when you clench your teeth, you may be a candidate for botox there.  

Unfortunately it does not reduce the cheeks

Best of luck

Dr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

#Botox for jaw reduction

Dear Kate7161:

Maybe it's the limited view on these photis, or just me, but I don't see anything that needs to be reduced with Botox. Your jawline would become less well-defined after Botox to your masseter muscles.  Perhaps you should go to your appointment and talk about your  concerns, There may be a better way to address them.

All the best,   Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Improving wide face with Botox

Botox will slim the lower face in patients with enlarged masseters, which you have. It will take 15-20 units per side. The Nefertiti lift can improve the jawline slightly more as well. This is an injection in the lower jawline to relax the platysma muscle. It can't be used to reduce large cheeks.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Benefits of Botox

Botox is a great choice for reducing the masseter and contouring the jawline. It wouldn't cause your jowls to sag or necessarily reduce your cheeks. However, Botox and/or facial fillers can create more symmetry and contour to the face. I recommend a consultation with a facial contouring expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Botox for Jaw Reduction

Hi Kate, 

Botox injection is indicated for the Masseter muscle for functional and cosmetic reasons. Botox is a great option for narrowing the lower face features caused by an enlarged Masseter muscle. The Botox will allow the muscle to relax and, over time, become smaller.  From your photos, I recommend 25 units per side, 50 units total. I would have you return in 6 weeks to assess, but the procedure would not cause sagging of the jowls. Botox is not recommended for the cheeks as injection into the mid face musculature could cause the corners of the mouth to drop.

Hope this helps, 

Javad Sajan, MD

Javad Sajan, MD
Seattle Physician