Am I a good candidate for Jaw reduction using Botox? (photo)

I was thinking to have botox to reduce and slim my face. Am I a good candidate and would that procedure cause any drop in my jowls? I am 41 years old. Thanks

Botox Injection for Jaw Reduction

Thank you for your question. Botox injected into the masseters is a common treatment and yield great results. I cannot fully assess from your picture if you are a good candidate for this procedure. I suggest you have a consultation with an expert injector to discuss a treatment plan.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Hi Kate, yes I agree that treating your masseters (jaw muscles) would enhance your looks. Occasionally, you may have a little weakness when biting down, however that is not typical. I would recommend you go to a doctor with a lot of experience treating this area. Good luck, Dr. Downie

Jeanine B. Downie, MD
Montclair Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox injection for jaw slimming

Botox is a medication injected into muscles to selectively weaken them so they pull less and overtime become smaller. The masseter is a muscle that attaches to the jaw. When it get large, it creates the appearance of wide face. 

Botox injection is only effective in patients who have a large (hypertrophic) masseter muscle. This requires an examination by your doctor to feel the size of your masseter muscle. The nerve that controls your face is in the area, so proper technique is important. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Am I a good candidate for Jaw reduction using Botox?

Your photo suggests that you may gain a great deal from botox injection to your masseters.  This of course would need to be confirmed in a face to face exam but I'd encourage you to find a local expert for treatment .  Be sure the doctor is experienced however.  I'd also discuss the addition of fillers to improve your jawline especially in the "prejowl" area.  Warm regards and enjoy the video link above.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Botox Treatment

Hello and thank you for your question. Botox injections to define the jawline is a common treatment and patients get great results. The angle of your picture doesn't allow me to fully assess if you are a great candidate, but I would suggest you visit an office with a Board Certified Dermatologist/Plastic Surgeon and get a consultation. Hope this helps, Dr. S. 

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Jowls and Botox

It is difficult to tell from the picture but I think you would benefit some from injection of the masseter to improve the contour of your face

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Slimmer face

Is is hard to tell exactly from the photo, but from what I see, I think you would be a good candidate.  The way to test yourself is to try this:  Look in the mirror straight on, so you can see both sides of your jaw.  Then clench your teeth very tightly, as much as you can.  If you see the sides of your face getting wider, or can feel the muscles on the side of your face getting wider, those are your masseters.  Botox to these muscles can shrink them and creat a more V shaped lower face.

Dr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Slimming jaws with Botox

I do believe you can treat the masseters with success in your case. There is a slight risk of increasing the jowls but I haven't had any patients complain of this. Everything reverses back after about 4 months if not completely happy.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Slimming of Face with Botox

Dear Kate7161:

Botox can reduce the size of your masster muscles this slimming down the lower third of your face and your jowls can be nicely lifted with enhancement of the jawline with dermal fillers.  Best wishes.

Botox for Jaw Reduction

Hello Kate, 

Botox injection is indicated for the Masseter muscle for functional and cosmetic reasons. Botox is a great option for narrowing the lower face features caused by an enlarged Masseter muscle. The Botox will allow the muscle to relax and, over time, become smaller.  It is difficult to tell from your photos, but combination therapy with filler in the midface may produce a more youthful appearance, along with a slimmer jawline. 

Hope this helps, 

Javad Sajan, MD

Javad Sajan, MD
Seattle Physician