Will Strattice Mesh used in breast augmentation/reconstruction prevent capsular contracture?

Thank you for your question. Remember, it is best to be seen in person by a double-board-certified plastic surgeon for precise diagnosis and treatment.

ADM's such as Strattice

are reported to help diminish the risk for contractures but risks without ADM's are all low single digits as it is.  If you are treating a contracture, is certainly one way to approach your revision but its no guarantee that it will prevent a contracture from recurring.

Curtis Wong, MD

Strattice for cap con? Not my #1 choice

Strattice is a supple sheeting made from pig's skin, it's a type of "acellular dermal matrix" or ADM. There is real evidence that adms prevent capsular contracture, but most studies are done with Alloderm or belladerm or FlexHD, which are all HUMAN ADM. Part of the problem with cap con is inflammation and reaction, and the human ADM is less inflammatory as it is made from the same stuff as we are. Strattice is cheaper though so surgeons may use it anyway. If you have capsular contracture, you must also be treated for biofilm at the same time, or your repair will fail, hence the high recurrence rate of contracture surgery.

Lisa Cassileth, MD, FACS

Strattice is reported to decrease the risk of recurrence of capsular contracture but to what degree it is better than capsulectomy alone isn't clear (to warrant the expense).  I think it is worth considering ADMs for a patient with recurrent and repeated capsular contracture.  Regards,

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Will Strattice Mesh used in breast augmentation/reconstruction prevent capsular contracture

There is ,a t present, no evidence that Strattice will prevent the capsular contracture, it is merely a support material.

Julio Garcia, MD

Stray tick or other breast mesh and preventing capsular contracture

Thank you for asking. Some products like Strattice in revision breast implant cases can help with preventing or treating a capsular contracture. The cause of CC is associated with certain factors that may not be obvious in all cases. Seeing a board certified plastic surgeon who handles cosmetic AND reconstructive breast cases should have a strong experience to handle this scenario. Hope this helps! Best wishes!

Capsular contracture remains somewhat of a mystery as we do not know for sure all of its causes. We do know that for a patient experiencing CC, the use of Strattice lowers the risk it will recur. But the vast majority of BA patients do not experience CC and so Strattice is not used on a first time patient.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

What prevents breast augmentation capsular contracture?

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for your question. Strattice certainly helps reduce the risk of capsular contracture. There is currently that totally prevents the risk other than not having breast implants. I think most plastic and reconstructive surgeons do not use it for first time breast augmentations, but it is used for revision cases, where the implant is not in a good position or you have capsular contracture. It is expensive and usually cost prohibitive but it is something that someone should consider to prevent the need to have another breast operation. Good Luck.

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

Capsular contraction can be a very frustrating complication for both patients and surgeons.  In my practice, I have found the most success treating these difficult problems utilizing techniques such as sub muscular pocket conversion (if relevant), capsulectomy, use of fresh implants, and the use of acellular dermal matrix.  Acellular dermal matrix is a biologic implant that carries the ability to become integrated into native tissue. It is made by taking a full thickness section of skin from a donor source ( human, porcine, or bovine in origin).  

In my practice,  I do not use acellular dermal matrix  as a "preventative measure" for patients undergoing breast augmentation. I hope this, and the attached link ( demonstrating a case utilizing acellular dermal matrix) helps. 

Strattice ADM for recurrent capsular contracture

I agree with Dr. Posner's approach and recommend Strattice to my revision patients who present with recurrence of capsular contracture. I do not recommend it for primary surgery though.

I wish you well

Dr. Edwards