Mona Lisa treatment and Femilift?

It seems that all your questions and answers have to do with tightening the vagina....for us who have not had kids...we don't need that....but at 70, what we do want is more moisture and alot less pain with sex. The tearing and rubbing off skin inside gets pretty old and extremely painful. So my question is can these treatment help with that. Were getting alittle desperate here...just cause we have aged does not mean we are too old to live life as usual. Thank you.

Revitalization of tissue

As an Gynecologist, I respect your honest description of the vaginal changes that occur with menopause. The MonaLisa Touch is a medical laser designed to address the symptoms you are experiencing: dryness, chafing, and pain with intercourse.  Women are able to maintain relations with the partners and actually say they enjoy sex again after the recommended treatment regimen. Menopausal hot flashes and night sweats fade in time, but the vaginal dryness and atrophy only progresses. Please seek a GYN that has experience in the MonaLisa Touch and there is only room for improvement based on your description. Best of luck!

Vaginal atrophy

Currently MonaLisa is the only laser with multiple published medical studies showing improvement for vaginal atrophy/ dry tissue that is the cause of majority of painful intercourse in older women. It's a CO2 fractional laser  which creates Micro injuries in the vaginal canal that allows your body to regenerate better collagen and vaginal skin. The MonaLisa was the first laser designed for this form of vaginal therapy. It is the only machine that I know of that is available at multiple major medical centers in the United States including Cleveland clinic and Stanford. It is the gold standard for women who do not want to use Estrogen creams or lubricants.

FemiLift and MonoLisaTouch

Femilift and MonaLisaTouch are both fractional CO2 lasers that are designed to treat the vaginal tissues.  They are almost identical in that they deliver small beams of CO2 energy (fractionated, or split) to induce tiny injuries to the vaginal walls that causes the surrounding (untreated) tissue to heal by forming new collagen - similar to the concept of why skin grafts work faster when tissue is burned.  Improving collagen thickens the tissue and increases blood flow to improve lubrication and reduce pain during intercourse.  Both lasers do this well.  My understanding of the difference, as explained by the laser engineers, is the way the laser beam is split - Femilift technology delivers 81 split beams all at once and MonaLisa delivers small beams individually in rows.  The simultaneous split allows Femilift to penetrate the tissue deeper (by fractions of a millimeter) and this can create a tightening effect in some women. That is why Femilift is being used for both situations.  I have treated older women with Femilift who feel both dry and tight and have found that the vagina is able to stretch better as long as they follow the treatments up with some type of dilation (regular intercourse or dilators).  Stimulating the formation of elastin (or 'stretchy') fibers is probably the reason.  The loss of estrogen is responsible for most of the changes in the superficial tissue of the vagina.  Much deeper are the ligaments and muscles of the pelvis which also contribute to its function/support and are not affected by the lasers.        

Joi Davis, DO
Pewaukee OB/GYN