Can I lose weight after a breast lift and augmentation?

I will be getting a breast lift and augmentation in 2 weeks, unfortunately i didn’t lose all the weight I wanted. How much weight can I lose after surgery without having my breasts lose fullness and sag?

Weightloss after Breast Lift and Breast Augmentation

Hi Momof 4,Thanks for your question. You can lose as much weight as you want but your results may change. I have had patients lose 25 pounds after an augmentation and mastopexy and still look great while others have lost 10 pounds and look a little droopy. Again, the answer depends on your skin quality. I recommend discussing your concerns with your plastic surgeon!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

#breastlift #breastaugmentation

Thank you for this question. Yes you can lose weight but it really depends on how much weight you plan to lose as to how it will affect your breasts. I would tell you that you should lose as much as possible prior to surgery if you can. It will allow the best result for you. I have an office out in Sun City and I am happy to see you anytime if you want a second opinion. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

This depends on the size your breast are now.  Regardless, wear a good support bra to aid in the healing process.  

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Weight loss after breast lift with implants? What is the limit?

Thank you for your question.  It is hard to put a number on what degree of weight loss will have a negative impact on your breast surgery however the good news is if you do reach that point was never that difficult to put weight back on!  I agree with your surgeon that it is best to be at a maintainable healthy weight before the procedure to lessen the risk that you will regret not having a larger implant if you do lose significant weight in the future.  I doubt that several pounds would make a big difference depending upon how much fat is contained in your breasts however attend the 20 pound weight loss may adversely affect the results of your surgery.  Discuss this with your surgeon before undergoing anesthesia to make sure you are comfortable with your plan to move ahead.  Best wishes.
Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Without knowing what you look like now, that would be impossible to answer. If your breasts are quite small now, weight loss will have little effect. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Weight Loss after Breast Lift

My standard answer is losing up to ten pounds after a breast lift should not change the shape of the breasts too much.  However, that answer will depend on the size of your breasts as well as the quality of your skin (elastic or not).  Even with only a 10 pound loss, you may see some stretching of skin and sagging of the breasts.  Good news is that sometimes the sagging can be corrected with an in-office procedure.Make sure you discuss this with your surgeon so he or she is prepared for the outcome after weight loss.Dr Spies

Robert J. Spies, MD
Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon

As you can imagine, the answer to your question will vary depending on many factors including the specific patient's physical examination and the quality of the breast lift performed.  Generally speaking, I suggest that patients be within 10 pounds of their long-term stable weight prior to undergoing breast augmentation/lifting surgery, if they do not want to experience breast changes with weight loss postoperatively.
 Best wishes with your decision-making and for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.