Hip pain/burning sensation post op 9 days. Any suggestions?

After taking a shower today my husband was putting on garment when I got an excruciating hip pain burning sensation, we could not even fasten garment side due to pain?? My ps is out of office...what can this be please help!!!

Pain and Burning Sensation after Tummy Tuck

Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks. You can return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks.

Swelling and pain can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight or burning sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

Probably random nerve pain that should resolve

By all means, please keep up the communication with your plastic surgeon to let him, his office, or whoever is covering for him know what is going on.

The tummy tuck incision is long and can sometimes interfere with small cutaneous sensory nerves transversing it. Sometimes these can get caught up and irritated by sutures, garments, etc.

I am sorry you are experiencing this pain though. My recommendation would be to gently massage the area, pad the area with a gauze if the garment pressure is irritating it, and see if certain positions or body movements aggravate it and can consequently improve it if they are avoided.

But please also be reassured, that these type of pains while distressing, are temporary and resolve as your body heals. Best of the luck on the rest of your recovery!

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change on your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.  Someone should be covering your doctor's office if he/she is out of the office.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Normal healing process

The lumpiness, burning, swelling, itching and hardness after a surgery like you had typically persists at least 8 weeks after the surgery then slowly goes away. In my experience, daily massage of the hard areas makes the biggest difference in getting rid of it sooner rather than later. It can easily take 6 months or more to see results. Your tummy tuck scars will usually flatten and fade between 9-12 months but can sometimes take closer to 18 months. Scar fading depends on your genetics. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have with your surgeons for his evaluation and advice. Hope this helps.

Dean Vistnes, M.D. Vistnes Plastic Surgery San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #tummytuck

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Burning Pain

I'm sorry to hear about your discomfort. A burning sensation, especially when no visible change is present, will often be nerve-related pain. Gentle massage of the area and some pain medications help but often those sensations will resolve on their own within the first month. I would recommend that you seek medical attention if you see something concerning, increased swelling etc. 

All the best