Surgical Options for Torn Hood Piercing?

My piercing tore completely through my clitoral hood. There is no nerve damage but skin folds remain from the tear and tugging of the jewelry. Am I a candidate for a clitoral hood lift and if not, what options would I have? How long (after the injury) would I need to wait prior to having surgery?

Doctor Answers 7

Torn clitoral hood repair

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The clitoral hood can be repaired if it is torn, however, you’ll need to see a board certified plastic surgeon for an assessment to make sure for your situation. Repair of all tears anywhere on the body is like doing revision surgery, so you need to wait at least 6 months.

Surgical options for torn hood piercing

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Assuming you are otherwise healthy, you are definitely a candidate to have the tear repaired and this can be done at any time after the injury. Any skin folds that increased in length from the jewelry can be addressed as part of the repair.

It is necessary to examine you to determine if you are a candidate for a clitoral hood lift. This is unlikely to be required as part of a repair of a torn hood, but if you are seeking an adjustment to your clitoral hood I recommend that you see a qualified surgeon who is experienced in this area.

Good luck!

Jill Tomlinson, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
A tear in your clitoral hood can easily be repaired in most cases. This could be part of a larger scope of a labiaplasty to reposition the hood or trim the labia or just fixing the tear. I reccomend that you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your concerns. Best of luck, Dr K

You might also like...

Repair of a torn labia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Any tear of the labia or the hood can be repaired once the area has fully healed and the tissue has softened. The clitoral hood can be lifted if you wish at he time of repair.

Best of luck,

Peter E. Johnson, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Clitoral Hood Piercing, Labiaplasty, Repair

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

First and foremost you need to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate the extent of the tear and the condition of the clitoral hood skin.  Commonly with these injuries, repairing the tear will restore the aesthetics, integrity and function/sensation.  The best time to treat or correct this is when the injury happens but the repair can be performed at any time.  Ideally, you would need to wait at least 6 - 8 weeks after repair to consider repiercing.  A detailed consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will help create the perfect plan to reconstruct and restore the aesthetics and function.

John G. Apostolides, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

Probably a few months to wait

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


Depending upon the nature of the tear, repair is probably possible. Lifting the hood might not be unless it is simply trimmed. The wound needs to be examined and a plan made based on how it looks to optimize healing afterward.


Best Regards,


John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Torn clitoral hood from piercing, options for repair?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. Without photos, I assume that this is a vertical tear, dividing the clitoral skin over the clitoris. The repair depends on the damage and how much loose skin you have in the anatomic region.I would wait at least 6 weeks from time of injury before considering surgical repair. After surgical repair if you want piercing in the same area, wait at least 3 months for healing. Good luck.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.