Is Surgery Recommended for Twitching and Droopy Right Eye?

I have a drooping right eyelid and my right pupil is on vertically higher position compared to my left pupil. I have been using contacts for the last eight years.

Additionally, I had several occasions of uncomfortable eye twitches on my right eye. I'm male, 22 years old.

Doctor Answers 3

Surgery for droopy eye

  1. A drooping right eye is also known as ptosis and is treated by tightening the levator and Mueller’s muscle of the upper lid. This is done usually at a minimum on the affected side, and many times on the unaffected side so that they balance.
  2. Twitching is caused by nerve pulsations in the orbicularis oculi muscle and is not treated with surgery but with Botox.

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 145 reviews

Surgery for twitching and droopy right eye

Before any lid surgery is done, you need an orbit scan to rule out an orbital mass causing the drooping and and globe displacement. Twitches are usually treated with Botox injections if they bother you.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

An oculoplastic consultation would be best to answer this question

Hi Simon,

The eyelid twitch and the ptosis may or may not be related. I would recommend that you seek out a specialist to assess what is going on and how best to help you. Surgery might be the answer to address your issues or other treatments might be better. In Australia, there are a number of excellent oculoplastic surgeons in the larger cities.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.