Is Surgery the Only Way to Broaden a Narrow Jaw? (At Seventeen Years Old) ) (photo)

I'm seventeen and feel my face is attractive aside from my narrow jaw. It makes my face look longer and my nose look bigger. My cheekbones defined (not the best picture) which the narrow jaw also subtracts from. It's around the masseter muscle, where it should widen a bit but instead it swoops right down from my cheekbones to my chin. The masseter being a muscle, would something like chewing gum help? I'm seventeen and not done growing. Perhaps it isn't to late to help my face develop properly?

Broaden a narrow jaw?

I think that you are not done growing and that it would be wise to wait a few years, before having surgery to correct these conditions.  In a few years, I would think you could re-evaluate the situation and consider dermal fillers, as a safer alternative to surgery.

Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Narrow jawline

the growth pattern of the face is quite vertical; and as such, the 'back of the jaw' tends to be short in the 'ramus' and long in the 'body' of the mandible. This is a common pattern and will not change with further age.

Augmentation with tissue fillers could work, but the amount needed would be significant; and expensive. Best to consider ramal augmentation - simple and long term solution with excellent cosmetic benefit.

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Narrow Chin?

Thank you for your question and photo! I suggest you wait a couple more years because you are not done growing yet!  Seek a board certified plastic surgeon and have a consultation!  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval PatelDouble Board Certified Plastic SurgeonChicagoHoffman EstatesOak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Yes an no

Surgery with implants can widen you jaw.  Some fillers can do it too.  My more basic question, however, has to be why, at 17, you are concerned with this.  This is not a common thing that patients change.  Also, as you age, some of your issues might resolve themselves.  I would leave your attractive face alone.   

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Implants for Lower Jaw Widening

Lower jaw widening is done by jawline implants from front to back. There is no specific one moving surgery that makes one's lower jaw wider.