Do i need surgery to get rid of my man boobs? (photo)

I'm not entirely sure if i should get surgery to help reduce the size of my breasts or if weight loss will give the same results. I'm extremely shy about my upper body and it feels like any time i wear a cotton t-shirt it sticks to my nipples before going over my stomach and therefore when someone looks at me they can see my nipples though my shirt. If it helps, my father has quite large breasts although he is quite heavy, around a 40" waist. I am 22 years old and my waist length is roughly 36".

Doctor Answers 9

Consult with a Board Certified Surgeon to Better Determine

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. 

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding.
Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon is highly suggested in order to determine if you are a surgery candidate and what treatments are best for you.

Do i need surgery to get rid of my man boobs?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you are thin, this may be breast tissue that will respond to surgical removal.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of body contouring procedures and male breast reductions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Do i need surgery to get rid of my man boobs? (photo)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There are many causes to gynecomastia and it is difficult to say without an in-person consultation. The issue you are seeing could be resolved with weight loss or liposuction or might require surgical removal of the breast tissue. The best thing for you to do would be to see a board-certified surgeon who will be able to give you personalized advice based on a consultation.

Male Breast Reduction for Gyecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Gynecomastia breast reduction is a procedure that reduces and shapes the male chest. The procedure is typically performed with liposuction and direct excision. It is recommended to be evaluated by a plastic surgeon to discuss your individual options.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia: surgical correction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question and the photo. It is difficult to tell from the photo you included. I recommend you see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation to see what is best for you.

You are young, so if it is mostly fatty tissue, then weight loss or liposuction could potentially solve the problem. if it is fatty tissue and glandular breast tissue, then excision of the breast bud may also be necessary.

There is a chance that a medical condition could be the cause of gynecomastia. This needs to be ruled out.

Again, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation to see what is best for you.

Best of Luck!

How to get rid of man boobs

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello and thank you for your question.

It's really difficult to assess you from that picture. There does not seem to be a significant amount of breast tissue excess...Perhaps you could benefit from some breast liposuction, but I can't say without seeing you in person. I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to get more specific answers to your questions which can best be addressed after a thorough history and examination is performed.

Best of luck to you

Puffy nipples

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Puffy nipples is a form of gynecomastia that can be treated surgically . You definitely can wait and try to lose weight but I doubt it will help. In my experience this is usually caused by excess glandular tissue and It is unlikely that coolsculpting or liposuction will work for the long term,because of the high recurrent rate after those procedures. See a plastic surgeon who specialize in gynecomastia surgery.

Gynecomastia and weight loss

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

surgery is always the last resort.what you have there is a relatively minor degree compared to some of the patients we see. If you can reduce this by weight loss by all means give it a try. There's always time for surgery in the future

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia Surgery to Get Rid of Man Boobs

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You should see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that specializes in gynecomastia surgery to review your options. You need an exam to determine if it is breast tissue and/or fat causing your male breasts. If it is only fat then weight loss can make a difference, also liposuction or CoolSculpting could be possible treatments. However if you have breast tissue as well, then surgical excision of the breast tissue will be necessary. Good luck!

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.