Surgery to Correct Puffy Areolas?

I'm a 20 year old female, no kids. And I was considering puffy areola reduction. My areola is a little bit wider then a quarter in diameter. Everything else with the breast is fine, size and shape. But I have a puffy areola and so in the relaxed state there is no nipple just areola.

I know it's a simple incision and quick healing process, but will having a puffy areola be a problem for breast feeding if I get pregnant in the future? And I haven't been able to find any before and after pictures of puffy areola treatment, where can I find some? And is this surgery by itself costly?

Doctor Answers 4

Puffy areolae

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

To determine what is the best treatment for your puffy areolae, I suggest that you see a board certified plastic surgeon. Different procedures can be done depending upon the problem. Often this is done under local anesthesia in the office. If the areolae are puffy because breast tissue has herniated into that area, this may need to be corrected under general anesthesia or at least with some sedation.  The cost will depend upon exactly what is the problem and the procedure to correct it.

Surgery to Correct “Puffy” Areola?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the question.
Despite your good description, it will be in your best interest to be examined in person for precise advice.
Generally speaking, areola size and “puffiness” can be corrected surgically. You should be aware that sometimes “puffy” areola are part of a constricted/tuberous breast anomaly.
Correction of the size/puffiness of the nipple/areola complexes should be timed appropriately;  for example, it will likely be in your best interest to have completed pregnancies before undergoing this procedure.
I would suggest in person consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons.
Best wishes.

Correcting large areola

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There is a great variation between every patient in terms of breast, areola and nipple sizes. Despite this variation, some patients simply have an areola that is too large for their breast and simply is unpleasing aesthetically. There are operations designed to reduce or change the size of the areola; they are similar to the techniques that we use to do a Periareolar Mastopexy (Breast lift using an incision only around the areola).

Puffy areola treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


Areola size and shape varies from woman to woman. I tell patients that have more prominent areola that after breast augmentation it will still be there to some degree. If a woman has a constricted or tuberous breast, it is common to see puffy areola. You sound as though you are please with your breasts otherwise so this may not be the case for you. One option is to perform an areolar reduction but without some undermining it may not make a difference. I would recommend that you see a board-certified plastic surgeon who can examine you and give you their recommendations if it needs to be done and what procedure is best for you. Best of luck.

Dr Edwards

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.