Overbite Correction for 15 Year Old

Would you do surgery on a 15 yr. old to correct overbite. Braces have not corrected her bite. The orto. wants to break her jaw.to correct it. What would happen if we chose not to do the surgery?

Doctor Answers 1

Jaw Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The surgery that you are talking about is called Orthognatic surgery. unfortunately, it is the only way to correct an overbite. the younger the patient is the faster the recovery is. one of my dentist referral had it at at age of 50 and he is much happier person but definetly the recovery was very difficult for him.  An overbite can lead in the future to more damage in the dentition thus creating a TMJ problem (articulation of the jaw). 

New York Dentist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.