Can a Surgeon Really Tell What Size CCs my Saline Breast Implants Are?

I need a 4th surgery for my polands syndrome and this time I would like to be a bigger cc size. My question is will my surgeon be able to tell what my current saline CC size is during surgery? He wants to order the new ones beforehand so i was thinking of saying mine are a little bigger than they really so he will order bigger sizes for me for my new implants (switching to gummy bear). How much extra you can fill a saline implant so i know how far i can say, like 500cc can fill to 520cc or what?

To give more background, insurance is paying so my surgery cannot appear to be cosmetic, or else I would just select the CC size I want - but I can't since this falls under birth abnormality.

Trust your surgeon

For complicated procedures, we often have to work a little harder in the planning phase.  I think it is reasonable for you to be involved in the planning process.  You can look at implants that you estimate are similar to yours and then look at those you are considering switching to.  That is a visual test.  You can also talk about % change you want to see and what size or volume would provide that change.  Without your current implant information, there is always some guess work involved.  But, you can look at several different scenarios with your surgeon and feel more confident that you are both on the same page.  Most of us have a variety of implants available in the OR as a fail safe. 

Trust your surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Breast implant size and revision surgery for Polands Syndrome

First and foremost, be honest with your surgeon and your insurance company.  You should tell surgeon the correct size implants you presently have.  You surgeon may or may not check the amount of saline that is in your present implants, but trying to deceive him or her could compromise your results.  With regard to the size and fill of your new implants, this is a question you should ask your surgeon.  Best wishes.

Determining implant size

When this problem occurs and there is no record of the current implants then you can only estimate and have a wide range of implants available for the procedure.  At the time of surgery the implants may have markings on them to indicate the fill volume or the fluid can be removed and measured or the implant can be weighed.  

Determining implant size

Determining the size of your curernt implants

Thank you for your question. Yes there is a way to determine the size of your implants (if you do not have your identification card) while in surgery. Typically, I suggest that patient's retain their breast implant identification card for the extent that the implants are in. Clearly this is not always realistic, so there are definitely ways to determine the implant size while in surgery. Also, because your insurance is covering the revision surgery and they typically determine that the procedure is further reconstruction, the size does not dictate if they would cover surgery or not (obviously within reason). When in a consultation with a patient, I generally give them a size range that would best fit their body shape and size. On the day of surgery, I make it a point to have all implants within that size range available to the patient should they choose to go slightly larger or smaller. The cost of the implant is not dependent upon the size of the implant rather the implant in general. Therefore, in most cases, a 300 cc prefilled silicone gel implant will cost the same as a 600 cc prefilled silicone gel implant. In rare instances a patient will be adamant about a size prior to surgery, but it is most commonly seen that patients will make up their mind on the day of surgery. Regarding the new "gummy bear implant" make sure that you are fully informed about the use of this implant. Not knowing how your implant currently is oriented and which incision the surgeon previously utilized, the technique for insertion might vary slightly. I hope this helps you and good luck! Fadi Chahin MD, FACS, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Diplomat, American Board of Surgery, Diplomat, American Board of Plastic Surgery

Fadi Chahin, MD, FACS

Fadi Chahin, MD, FACS

Okay to have larger implants inserted when making a change.

Just because it is considered reconstructive, that doesn't mean you are restricted in implant size (to my knowledge).  Best to be honest  with your surgeon.  He or she is on your side.  Yes, go larger rather than smaller.

Yes, we can determine what size implants you have

Both pre-operatively and intra-operatively a surgeon has many ways of determining the size of the implants you have, as mentioned by others.

The fact that you're having this done by insurance for Poland's syndrome absolutely does not mean you cannot participate in the size of implant you request. Whether this size is technically possible or will look good is a discussion for you and your sugeon based on current appearance and breast/chest dimensions.

Be honest, and if you want to go larger just tell him/her!

Can a surgeon determine size of implants

A surgeon should be able to have a reasonable idea of implants that are in now, based on your examination of true breast tissue and implant. I would discuss with your surgeon your desire to be larger, but assist him or her truthfully about what size you have in now. Usually in these cases a surgeon will order a range of sizes so that options exist in the operating room

Implant volume can be determined during surgery when exchanging implants.

Intact saline implants can be emptied of their volume and measured or a volume displacement study can be performed to determine the volume of the prosthesis.

Surgeon needs to have large inventory of different size breast implants available in the operating room.

Hi.

This does not sound like a good plan!

1)  Why cannot you get surgical records of your previous surgeries with implant sizes?

2)  Surgeon can take out your current implant and weigh it to see what size it is.

3)  Sterile disposable (inexpensive) breast implant SIZERS should be put into your breasts during surgery to see which size gives the look you want.  This is done BEFORE any actual  implants are opened.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Hi.

This does not sound like a good plan!

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Dear Jess,

Thank you for your post.  Your surgeon will be able to tell exactly what size saline implant you have (its labeled) and exactly what the fill volume is (he puts it in a partially filled graduated cylinder which has cc markings on it, and the rise of the water level after placement of the implant shows exactly how much saline is in them).  So don't lie to your surgeon.  This being said, your surgeon should abide by your wishes as to the size you want to be, as long as your body can support it, even in reconstruction.  This is also true for reconstruction due to breast cancer.  Even if covered by insurance, its still your choice, again, as long as it is medically reasonable.  The part that I don't quite understand, however, is that Poland Syndrome only affects one side, i.e. should have a normal breast on one side and abscence of the breast on the other.  Therefore, I would assume that your surgeon is trying to match your normal breast.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Dear Jess,

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD