Surgeon Put Bigger Than I Asked & Now Saying if I Want Smaller, I'll Have to Pay for New Silicone. What Should I Do?

I wanted a Very small implant. I made it clear I wanted 160 cc - 200 MAX. He pushed for going slightly bigger saying I would want bigger. I made it very clear i would NOT and was going to him to get Exactly what I wanted. I supplied 50 reference pictures as well. He went & put 230 anyway & 7 mths later, i'm very unhappy with the results. Its a slight difference, I know, but it NOT what i wanted. And now he's telling me if I want smaller, I'll have to pay for new silicone. WHAT should i do????

Doctor Answers 6

Revision Policies

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Sorry for your unhappy situation. Without knowing the details of the case, there is no way for us to comment. To resolve the situation, you will need to continue to remain calm and clear in your communication with your surgeon. The surgeon has a vested interest in ensuring your happiness. You should be able to reach a happy compromise.

West Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 56 reviews

Implant exchange fees

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is a difficult situation. While you are right about not getting what you want, you surgeon may also have a reason for what he did.  The visual difference between 200 and 230 cc are minimal and merely imperceptable in most trained eyes. Either way a happy patient is always the best option and most surgeons opt for not charging a surgical fee and the fatient paying for the anesthesia and facility fees. In some instances this can even be performed under local anesthesia to decrease your cost. You should speak to your surgeon to see if you are a candidate. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 115 reviews

Implant exchange

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is a tough call to reply to this being that I do not know the exact conversation that you had with your surgeon.  While this may have been a communication error, you more than likely will have to pay for the new implants and some facility fee.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

You might also like...

The right thing to do

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I think the right thing to do is to replace your implants with out charging you for the implants or the surgeons fee. You may be responsible for the OR fees and the anesthesia. The question is do you want the same surgeon that didn't listen to you in the first place doing your surgery again? Maybe you should bite the bullet and seek another surgeon or at least a consultation.


Good luck!

Breast implants bigger than you wanted

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you clearly stated to the doctor pre-operatively a specific size above which you did not want and the doctor put in a larger size knowing that, than I think the doctor should re-do the surgery without charge to you. The anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist  and the operating room will of course want to be paid (they get paid per event) and you will have to take it up with them individually, but don't expect to "win" on that front.  The option is to go with another surgeon, but in that case expect to pay full fees on all fronts in that case (unfortunately, but you understand).  Good luck to you.

If your surgeon insists on doing something that you do not want, you clearly need to see someone else.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Breast augmentation size is completely subjective.  The only opinion that matters is the patient's.  If the surgeon does not agree (which is completely legitimate) he should recuse himself from the case.  If the patient and the surgeon do not agree, the patient should seek another opinion. 

If your surgeon corroborates your story, in my opinion he should replace the implants at no cost to you.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.