Surgeon Not Board Certified. Do I Need to Find Another Surgeon?

Am I stuck with finding another surgeon to reduce my 3month old oversized 450cc silicone implants? My General Surgeon Is offering Sientra's, but insisting on teardrops to achieve my goal. How do I get to my goal of being a 32A cup again? Round Sientra's? Saline? Explant? Silicone? Is it better to reduce ASAP for downsizing?

Doctor Answers 3

Breast Plastic Surgery by other specialties, not board certified, etc = Looking for trouble

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

General Surgeons have not gone through residency training and there is no way I would have a general surgery to an aesthetic surgery on a member of my family. You need to find a board certified Plastic Surgeon by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. This is especially true in your case as you are already unhappy with your prior surgery. Sientra Implants are great - now you just need to find a great surgeon.

Revision Breast Implants and Board Certification

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I am not sure how to reconcile your desire to be a A cup and the decision to put in 450 cc implants.  I think I would start at explant.  I am not sure they make an implant that will will fit your needs (sight unseen of course). 


Regarding Board Certification, look at it this way: you want to minimize the chances of risk.  While there are bad surgeons who ARE certified, and likely good surgeons who aren't, why take that risk? It's one more variable that you can control.  And any surgeon can have bad luck.  But I think many people agree you should have plastic surgery from a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Michael E. Decherd, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 61 reviews

Surgeon Not Board Certified. Do I Need to Find Another Surgeon?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This situation seemed familiar, so I checked the profile and see a number of completely reasonable questions over the past few days. It seems that your surgeon is willling to cover the costs for a redo save the anesthesia fee. You won't do better than that. 

However, to get you back to an A cup you would most certainly need to have the implants removed entirely. That I wouldn't let your current surgeon do without at least getting an opinion in a live consultation from a board certified plastic surgeon. You may well need to have a lift depending upon how much your skin has stretched, and how much elasticity remains. 

A 300 cc implant will reduce your size by less than one cup size.

There is one attached photo, showing nipple/areolar asymmetry. If that is what bothers you, think about a peri-areolar lift on the one side. That is certainly what strikes me in the photo

Thanks for the question, best wishes.

Jourdan Gottlieb, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.