Surgeon won't address post op concerns or consider revision until 1 year. Can I go forward with another doctor? (Photo)

I'm very sad with my result. My left breast is tighter at the crease and looks flat from the side. Both breasts are further apart than I'd expected and I feel like the top of them looks funny. My ps got defensive and deflected my concerns both times I tried to address them. His nurse informed me he won't even consider revision until a year (his standard). I'm almost 4 months out and waiting a year is depressing. I have 350cc mentor mod+ submusc. They just don't fit my frame well. What can I do?

Unhappy about BA results

Thank you for the question and your photographs. The result which you have got is actually very reasonable. The muscle can be tight on occasion and anatomy will vary. Also sub muscle placement of implant will invariably compromise the cleavage line as the muscle will tend to push the implants outwards.My feeling is that leave matters alone and 'wait and watch' policy is adequate. You should find improvements in due course and totally avoid surgery.

Thunder Bay Plastic Surgeon

When to consider revision?

Thank you for your question.  For something like this, I usually consider the option of revision at 6 months.  Surgeons will vary in their practice.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Concerns after breast augmentation surgery...

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery.  Some of your concerns I understand;  for example, you wish that your breasts were closer to one another in the cleavage area (less space).  However, after reviewing your before/after photographs, I think your outcome is what should be expected given your starting point.  Whether or not your concerns in this regard can be improved upon will depend on your goals, best communicated with goal pictures. 

Generally speaking, a patient's specific anatomy ( for example, relatively wide space between the breasts) may limit how close the medial breast folds ( cleavage) will be after breast augmentation surgery. Also, a patient's nipple/areola complex position must also be taken into account; keep in mind that the breast implants must be centered appropriately under each nipple/areola complex. Otherwise, the nipple/areola complexes will seem off-center on each breast mound.

Some of your other concerns such as "the top looks looks funny" and "they just don't fit my frame well" are harder to understand and would require clarification.  I think that this clarification is best done in front of a full-length mirror.  Use as many visual aids (again photographs)  demonstrating what you wish your breasts look like.

I am sure that your plastic surgeon wants you to be pleased with the outcome of surgery;  I would suggest that you continue your efforts in communication in a calm/non-confrontational fashion.  Although it may be difficult, you and every patient undergoing breast augmentation should keep the concept of realistic expectations in mind.  Also, keep in mind that  ongoing time may allow you to physically and "body image" wise adjust to the new look or to clearly delineate what you wish to have adjusted with any potential revisionary surgery.