Supplements to speed up recovery?

Hi I am booked in for break augmentation and tummy tuck for the end of the onth. Is there any supplements I can take pre and post to speed up recovery?

Supplements to Speed Up Recovery

I suggest to my patients beginning supplements such as  bromelain or arnica a week or two before their procedure(s). However, its best to consult with your board-certified Plastic Surgeon beforehand. She or he will make suggestions according to your procedure and medical records in addition to discussing your pre-op preparations. Also, such may be provided for you with your pre-op material and prescriptions in time for your recovery period. You will learn more about preparing at your pre-op appointment.

Supplements are not needed

If you have a normal healthy diet, you should already have the necessary proteins and vitamins needed for a normal recovery. I have yet to see any scientific data that would suggest that supplements speed recovery or improve results of surgery. Eat a normal diet and you will be fine.  

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover and Healing

I have found that my patients who take high grade vitamins do better in healing. I include the VitaMedica Surgery Program for all my surgery patients which they start 2 weeks before and finish 2 weeks after surgery. The surgery program includes an excellent multivitamin that does not contain vitamin E (which is a blood thinner), higher doses of vitamin C, and arnica montana and Bromelain for inflammation and bruising.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Supplements for healing after mommy makeover not usually necessary

Although vitamins are necessary for healing, there are sufficient amounts in a normal diet and no evidence that taking higher doses accelerates healing. Some supplements can cause undesirable side effects so you should follow your plastic surgeon's recommendations.

Richard Baxter, MD

Supplements during recovery

Generally speaking, patients who are undergoing surgery should have a healthy diet. Specific supplements should be discussed with your board certified plastic surgeon as some may promote bleeding. 

Post Operative Recommendations

If your doctor is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, he or she should give you a list of supplements to take and avoid  pre and post surgery for the best and fastest healing. You should consult your plastic surgeon's office for this. 

Supplements to speed recovery

Vitamin C is necessary for healing. I recommend it for all patients, including for breast augmentation and tummy tucks. We probably don't need these or any supplements unless we are nutritionally deficient. Fresh fruit, vegetables and protein are better. Our bodies know how to heal by themselves.