I think I have Melasma. Are there treatments? Will I have this forever? I am extremely self conscience about it (Photos)

My doctor said it was from the sun and the spots where I sweat the most. I am so self conscience about it and makes me want to not go out in public. I feel that make up doesn't cover it. What can or should I do? I feel it's the only thing people notice about me. It's most visible on my upper lip, but I also have it on my cheeks and forehead. I am at my wits end!! I can't hinder my life over this! Any help would be so greatly appreciated!!

Melarase creams for melasma

I would recommend Melarase AM, Melarase PM, Melapads, and Replenish creams for the melasma. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Melasma and Sun Spots -- Best Treamtent Is Clear + Brilliant / Fraxel 1927 / Aerolase w Microneedling PRP, Pro Yellow is Useful

There are many treatments for melasma, I suggest you see an expert to evaluate your skin and determine the best combination.  Dr. Emer.

Combined At-Home & In-Office Treatments Can Work Well To Improve Melasma

Unfortunately, melasma is a chronic and often recurring condition, which, for the time being at least, can be treated effectively, but not cured. The typical areas of involvement are those that you describe on yourself. The use of assiduous sun protection and the continued use of prescription bleaching agents, and there are several others besides hydroquinone, if so desired, can help to complement in-office treatments and maintain the benefits of such treatments for very extended periods of time, even years in some cases.

Successful  in-office treatments, such as a series of superficial peels with Jessner's solution, TCA (in concentrations of 10-25%), full strength glycolic acid, or  salicylic acid accompanied by at-home use of prescription bleaching preparations can be quite successful in restoring more normal and even pigmentation. Ups and downs are to be expected. Nevertheless, while there is are guarantees, in general, vigorous sunscreen use and periodic maintenance applications of bleaching preparations will help to maintain the improvements achieved via the above treatments. So, take heart and seek consultation with a board certified aesthetic dermatologist and be sure to ask to see his/her before and after photos. Good luck to you.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Thank you for your question angela_orlandi. Melasma is a condition characterized by the appearance of dark patches on the skin. Common areas include the forehead, cheeks, and upper lip. It affects women much more than men. It is caused by an imbalance of hormones in the body which make the skin sensitive to the sun. It can occur during or after pregnancy, when starting or getting off oral contraceptives, etc. Melasma is a condition we control not sure. While treatments including skin care and various cosmetic procedures exists, continuous maintenance is required. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician