I am obese with two inoperable surgical hernias after five surgeries in a short time. I wear a truss. Can coolsculpt help?

My metabolism is normal. I consume 1200-1500 calories a day. I am 60, and a teacher. I am on my feet most of the day. My fitbit averages 2500-4000 steps a day. I have 2 inoperable abdominal hernias in surgical incisions. I had a full hysterectomy, two hernia repairs, emergency gallbladder removal, and a hip to hip C section with concomitant tumor removal. I am not to lift >10 lbs. I wear a truss for support. Can coolscupting reduce my belly given my intestines poke through my abdominal wall?

Cool Sculpting with History of Abdominal Issues

I am sorry to say you would most likely not be a candidate for Cool Sculpting. You could get a personal consultation with a BC plastic surgery but you have many contraindications for cool sculpting. You can not do cool sculpting anywhere above or near a hernia and nothing within 1 year of an abdominal surgery. It does not seem worth the risk in your case. 

Thank you for your question. If you have a hernia in the site of the treatment area then CoolSculpting may not be the best option for you.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

You cannot get Coolsculpting over a hernia. It is an absolute contraindication.  Look into going to a hernia specialist first like Shirin Towfigh. Best of luck.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Coolsculpting candidacy...

This stresses the importance of being evaluated by a certified coolsculpting center with an experienced physician on staff to evaluate you prior to any treatment administration.  Coolsculping cannot be performed over or near areas of hernia presence.  Additionally, even without hernia consideration, in cases of severe abdominal obesity, weight loss or surgery may be better options.  I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I hope you come to realize a better shape in another way.

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting is Not Right For You

From your description, CoolSculpting is not right for you. It is not a weight loss device and you have hernias at the site of treatment. Our ideal client is within a body mass index of 25. It can be used up to 30 however this may require up to three treatments. 
All the bestDr Soni

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

CoolSculpting Candidate with Hernia -- SEEK AN EXPERT

CoolSculpting should not be performed in areas that have a hernia. I suggest seeking an expert for an in person evaluation and to discuss alternative treatment options. Best, Dr. Emer

CoolSculpting with two inoperable hernias

You do not sound as though you would be a good candidate for CoolSculpting of your abdomen.  CoolSculpting cannot be performed over the area of a hernia.  It may be possible to treat other areas, however, CoolSculpting is not a weight loss treatment and generally works best in people who are at their ideal weight with isolated areas of unwanted fat.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon