In general, is septoplasty & turbinate surgery simple or complicated? I'm concerned about choosing the right surgeon.

SEPTOPLASTY WITH REDUCTION OF TURBINATES

Dear ddemo, In the hands of a skilled surgeon this is a very routine procedure.  I perform multiple septoplasty procedures with reduction of the turbinates weekly and while routine it is still complicated and requires expertise to avoid any complications. Seek consultations with some experts, have an intra-nasal examination performed to provide a proper diagnosis and then make an informed decision. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Dear ddemoSeptoplasty and turbinate surgery are generally easy procedures and are routinely performed by most ENTs on a very routine basis. The most important part of the decision is when to operate and to make sure the surgery  addresses your actual complaint. In other words, your surgeon should know when not to operate just as much as he or she should know when they should operate. Look for an experienced and properly trained ENT (Otolaryngologist), see more than one consult an d make a well informed decision.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty and turbinate surgery

Septoplasty and Turbinate surgery is complicated, so is very important to choose your surgeon based on extensive experience. Fractured and twisted noses are even more difficult. It's important not to overdo the turbinates due to complications that can occur such as empty nose syndrome.