How important is it that you get treated by a board certified plastic surgeon?

I want to get a rhinoplasty and a bbl and I am considering being treated by a surgeon. Who I believe isn't board certified. Is this safe?

Is board certified important when having surgery?

If you're considering the two surgeries mentioned, board certification is important.  Certification by an ABMS member board is a process that involves demonstration of exceptional expertise and rigorous testing and evaluation.  It's also important to see before and after pictures and meet with the doctor so that you are comfortable with the entire process.  Be well and good luck!

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Importance of board certification

It is important to make sure your rhinoplasty surgeon is board certified in facial plastic surgery or plastic surgery. Equally important is the results the surgeon is able to achieve (just because they're board certified doesn't necessarily mean they attain good surgery results) so be sure to check out their before and after photos. You can learn more about rhinoplasty surgeon selection at my web reference link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Board certification in plastic surgery is important

Both bilateral breast lift (BBL) and rhinoplasty are technically challenging procedures with nuances that take years of experience to learn. Board certified plastic surgeons that have focussed their careers on perfectly their craft on these two difficult procedures should be consulted. The American Board of Plastic Surgery is a good place to check if your plastic surgeon is board certified. Look at lots of before and after photos.

Board certification for rhinoplasty and a BB L

Rhinoplasty is the most difficult procedure to perform in the entire field of cosmetic surgery surgery,  So it is extremely important to go to a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive experiencing rhinoplasty, or a board-certified facial plastic surgeon with extensive experience in rhinoplasty. In addition to board certification,  look at the surgeon's before and after photographs in their photo gallery, which should be extensive.   It may also be difficult to perform both procedures simultaneously due to the positioning of the patient for both procedures.

Is It Important to be Treated by Board Certified Plastic Surgeon?

Board certification is an important criteria when selecting  surgeon whether it be a board certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, dermatologist or ophthalmic plastic surgeon but also carefully consider the experience of that surgeon with the specific procedure you're considering. For example, in my clinic I would do the rhinoplasty on a patient but another surgeon who specializes in body work would do the breasts during the same operation. 

Board Certification

The only specialty that confers board certification for surgeons doing rhinoplasty and BBL, is the American Board of Plastic Surgery.I would say its mandatory to select a surgeon that is certified .Its the single standard that confers legitimacy. The surgeon could be, young and board eligible, not having finished his exams.But rhinoplasty is the one procedure that requires years of expertise, not BBL.But if the surgeon is in practice for many years and is not certified, that sends up a red flag.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Since there are risks in any surgical procedure and no one can guarantee a perfect result, a patient should seek the most fully trained individual for plastic surgical procedures to maximize the probability of a good outcome. Your health and well being depend on it. If a member of my family or staff were to undergo thee procedures, I would insist that they seek out a real plastic surgeon who is board certified as a diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery.Safety is always of greatest importance. It depends on multiple factors:  appropriate patient selection, having a fully trained plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, an appropriate trained anesthesia provider, and an operative facility which is accredited by one of the recognized national accrediting organizations like AAAASF. Accreditation will assure that the necessary equipment is present in the operating and recovery rooms.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS
La Jolla, California  

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Board certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery is important as are credentials, before and after pictures, and reviews.Kenneth Hughes, MDLos Angeles, CA

Hi, Thank  you for your question. Choosing a board certified plastic surgeon is important for many reasons. A Plastic surgeons is an expert in both facial and body procedures. When a plastic surgeon is board-certified he or she has completed a minimum of five years of surgical training following medical school, including a plastic surgery residency program along witch includes vigorous exams to prove their skills. Good luck in your search.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

It would be the most important consideration. It is the minimum level of qualifications you should seek. Plastic surgeons have to take a rigorous examination set by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. They should be certified within 5 years of graduation from their Residency program. Most Hospitals will not grant admitting rights to operate for surgeons who have completed Plastic Surgery training, beyond five years after completion. Failure to achieve this milestone is a red-flag!

Laurence Kirwan, MD, FRCS, FACS
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon