In my notes it says increases tip projection. Why would my surgeon do this if my goal was to have a smaller nose? (Photo)

My goals of my rhinoplasty was to have a straight profile and a less bulbous tip. Unfortunately I still have a hump in my bridge and my tip is still very round. In my notes it says increases tip projection. Why would my surgeon do this if my goal was to have a smaller nose!

Surgeon directed

It sounds like this is a question you should specifically ask your surgeon directly.  Best of luck hit your results.

Tip projection

With respect,  you should try not to focus on the details of the surgical maneuvers.   Rhinoplasy is very complicated and takes years to master techniques intended ultimately to balance the overall look of the nose .   Tip projection,  for example,  can refer to intinsic or extrinsic types.   It is common to have lack of intrinsic tip projection even  if the nose seems to  "stick out" too much. Increasing Intrinsic tip projection is almost always the key to getting tip definition and a straight bridge (on profile).  Many bumps are really "pseudo bumps" ,  meaning the intrinsic tip projection does not allow the tip to project past  the lowest part of the bridge.   That said it is impossible to know what's s going on with your nose without photos .   

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip Projection

Would have been nice to see a photo. Projection is relative to the dorsal height and nasal length. Some times it is necessary to increase tip projection while the dorsum is lowered. The ultimate goal is a well balanced look. 

M. Azhar Ali, MD, FACS
Bloomfield Hills Plastic Surgeon

Projection

You may have had a bulbous tip with lack of projection which is the distance from the cheek to the tip of the nose on a profile view.  Hey may have wanted to refine your tip and project it more.  

In my notes it says increases tip projection. Why would my surgeon do this if my goal was to have a smaller nose?

You are asking what would your surgeon do?  For a successful outcome good communication with your surgeon is very important.  Discuss your desires with him so both of you have the same expectations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD