8 months postop tt/lipo of the abdomen. Why is my weight climbing?

Iam 8 months postop and before the surgery I weighed 127 and now after the surgery, 8 months later, my scale says 137 and doesn't look to be stopping. Why is this happening? Iam doing everything the same before I had the surgery.

Weight gain after surgery

Many factors could be involved in causing your weight issue.  This can include diet and exercise regimen. Best of luck

Weight gain after tummy tuck and liposuction

Sorry to hear about your weight gain.  If you truly are watching your diet and exercising like before surgery, then weight gain would not be expected.  However, I have had many patients with similar complaints and when I asked them detailed questions, they had made some changes that were not favorable.  For example, many of them admitted to drinking a glass or two of wine every night.  Alcohol can sabotage just about anyone's diet and cause weight gain.  Not only is it empty calories, but you become a calorie-storing machine.  Others have admitted to drinking sugary drinks or even diet sodas.  Both of these will cause weight gain.  If you still are convinced something is wrong, then talk to your doctor about checking hormone levels to see if they are abnormal.  The most common one that can cause weight gain is low amounts of thyroid hormone.

Weight Gain

It is atypical to gain weight after a TT. Look at your eating habits again, even consider using a Lose it app to monitor your intake. There is no explanation based on the surgical procedure. Best wishes. 

Weight Gain After Tummy Tuck

Weight gain comes from intaking more calories than you are expending. It may help to keep a food and exercise journal to accurately delineate what is occurring. The tummy tuck procedure itself does not cause weight gain. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Weight Climb after Surgery

With #cosmeticsurgery such as #abdominoplasty, we have our patients start on vitamins and supplements two weeks before and two weeks after.  We prefer VitaMedica, as we know the content of these surgical support vitamins.  The program includes Arnica and Bromelain. 

Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks.

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

Now, with the swelling and tightness that can potentially continue for months after surgery things may be heavier than before. The best thing to do for examination is to visit your surgeon to have everything checked out and make sure that the healing process is moving along well, and that weight will go back down as healing finishes up.