Revision - Is there any way to fix an areola that has settled below my chest muscles post gynecomastia surgery? (Photo)

I had gynecomastia surgery a few years back and it didn't turn out particularly well. I have a few issues there including a crater on my areola and some uneven fat distribution.... however my biggest issue is the fact that my areola has settled under my muscle. Can this be fixed? I had puffy nipples and still have some loose skin. When I touch my areola I feel my ribs as it feels like the fat has atrophied.

When to Consider a Revision to Gynecomastia Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your #incisions will go through a maturation process following #Gynecomastia surgery . For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. 

Sunken areola?

It sounds like you are describing a sunken areola deformity. This isn't that uncommon.  Yes, it can be filled quite easily - often in the office while awake.  Be sure to see your doc or a board certified plastic surgeon.

Nipple issue after gynecomastia

It is difficult to appreciate your concern from the one photo.  There are some limitations with what can be done for you based upon your concerns and in the presence of loose skin. A discussion of the possible options requires an exam.

Revision - Is there any way to fix an areola that has settled below my chest muscles post gynecomastia surgery?

Yes, these post surgical issues can be fixed, and sadly are treated on a regular basis. In general, I recommend using non invasive skin tightening and/or fat grafting to restore pectoralis contour and areolar support.

Hope this helps

Gynecomastia revision

So sorry about your result, but hard to make determinations without physical exam.  Revision can be done, with possible fat grafting and micro-liposuction.  Seek second opinion with a board certified plastic surgeon, or go back to your original surgeon for advice. Good Luck!