I had rhinoplasty 35 years ago. My nose has several imperfections in last 2 years?

Have hard time breathing at night without Breathe Strips. My nose/nostril looks shorter on one side than the other, and there are these lumps that never go away. Just started in last couple years. Also, on right side of nose near corner of eye and bump. Please recommend what can be done to correct hopefully without another rhinoplasty? Thank you in advance

Secondary (revision) rhinoplasty

I recommend you see an experienced rhinoplasty expert who performs secondary (revision) rhinoplasties commonly. Without an examination in the office and an assessment of your nasal cavities on the inside, it is impossible to make a recommendation. With that said, it is quite unlikely that a non-surgical intervention will correct your problems, especially given your breathing issues requiring breathe right strips. Best wishes!

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your question.

Without a proper physical examination it would be difficult to make any specific treatment recommendations. Unfortunately, it is indeed possible that revision rhinoplasty would be necessary to address all of your concerns. Please consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon.Best of luck to you.

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Nose changes 35 years after rhinoplasty

Thank you for sharing your questions and photographs. What you are describing is quite common. The nose will age as the rest of you ages over time. Skin and soft tissue becomes thinner and cartilage weakens. It's unclear what is causing the bumps. Although, a thorough examination by an experienced surgeon would be able to provide and explanation for the "bumps". The breathing trouble you are experiencing at night is also relatively common. Unfortunately, that problem is usually corrected with a surgical procedure that opens the internal nasal airways - essentially creating internal "Breathe Right" strips. If you are bothered enough by either the appearance or nasal breathing obstruction you might consider consulting with a surgeon to discuss possible options. To ensure you get accurate advice, be sure to seek consultation with a surgeon highly experienced with revision rhinoplasty and functional rhinoplasty. Thanks again for sharing and good luck!Kind regards,Dr. Harmych

Brian Harmych, MD
Cleveland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Revision

Jeanette88,       Thanks for your question and pictures.  Regarding your airway, the use of Breathe Strips and the fairly narrow appearance of the mid-portion of your nose suggest that you may have some internal valve issues contributing to your nasal obstruction.  This can be treated but would require another rhinoplasty operation to place grafts that can help widen that area.  Regarding your concerns about nostril size and the bumps, it is hard to comment without formal photographs and the ability to palpate the bump (which may be from underlying bone or scar tissue).  To correct all of these issues would require a second rhinoplasty operation, but a formal consultation would be needed to say for sure.  Best of luck.

John Harbison, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon