Would You Suggest Oral Surgery for my Bite? (photo)

I've had braces when I was younger, they clearly did not work. How severe do you see this as? Do I need extensive surgery? Would it be possible to bring my mouth back far enough to line up with my forehead? I have not had wisdom teeth pulled, does this contribute to my problem? Thanks

Doctor Answers 2

Jaw surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Clearly your lower jaw did not grow as much as it should have.  Best thing to do is to consult with an oral surgeon first and see if you need braces (usually do) or not. 

New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Jaw surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes surgery is recommended   You would need more X-rays and most likely more orthodontic treatment. Clinically it looks like you will need uup and lower jaw surgery correct your profile. You should consult with your orthodontist and Oral Max Surgeon.  Good luck.  Dr M


Manolis Manolakakis, DMD, FACS
Shrewsbury Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.