Its been almost 4 weeks since I had my BA, is it normal to feel numb and sensitive in the nipple area?

The bottom portion of the nipple is numb and top portion of the nipple is sensitive? Its still sensitive even during showers. How long does this last?

Sensitivity after breast augmentation

Congratulations on your recent breast augmentation.
Each patient heals at different rate in regards to pain, sensitivity,and activity level.
It is common to feel numbness of the lower pole of the breast as well as hypersensitivity of nipple.  
They may last several weeks to several months; they will improve with time.
Please visit your plastic surgeon so that he/she can examine and can allay your concern.
Best wishes with your recovery.

Numbness

Hi and thanks for your question. Sensitivity changes in nipple-areola complex can be expected and depends basically on elasticity of the tissues and the implants size and is because the nerves are stretched. It usually goes away as they adapt to this new condition and in a very low rate this is permanent. Be patient, it may be there for some months untill one year.

Hector Milla, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. It is not un common to have these symptoms at this time of healing. There is no certain definite period I can tell when the sensation come back. Most of the times about 3 months and could take several months sometimes. Please talk to your PS for guidance

Nipple Sensation Issues

The fact that you have some sensation is a good sign. In those situations it can take a few months for complete sensation to become normal. Taking a good multi-vitamin with mineral supplement can help with the nerve regeneration process.

Post Op Sensation Changes

In my experience hypersensitivity or numbness usually resolve within the first two months but can take up to a year. Try to be patient & talk with your Plastic Surgeon about any concerns.

All the best

Numbness and Sensitivity following Breast Augmentation Normal

Thank you for this wonderful question! It is very normal to feel numbness as well as sensitivity during your recovery from a breast augmentation. It is possible to have numbness for 3-6 months as you progress and heal with the possibility of this sensation lingering beyond 6 months depending on the size of your augmentation. Nipple sensitivity is also a common occurrence which will alleviate as your progress as well. You are still very early in your recovery; it is important to practice patience although not always easy. I encourage you to follow up with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon if question or concerns still are present. It is always best to have peace of mind rather than to worry. I do hope you have found this information helpful and I wish you luck! 

Patrick Viscardi, MD
South Bend Plastic Surgeon

Is it normal to feel numbness or increased sensitivity 4 weeks post-op?

There is no set amount of time that these sensations will last, but it is normal this early in your recovery.  I wish I could give you a better answer, but there is no way to see into the future and give you a more clear response. Good luck with the rest of your recovery!

Numbness after surgery

You are still very early in the healing process. It can take 6 months and in some cases up to a year before the nerves go back to normal. It is not uncommon to have areas that are completely numb, while other areas are hypersensitive. Good luck with healing.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon