Am I going through hair loss or is my hair maturing? Do I need to be worried? (Photos)

Hello I am 18 years old, and I am honestly scared about my hair. My temples are thinning and I am starting to see scalp hair when I move the front of the hair. I have no baldness in my close extended or family. Should I use rogaine or nizoral at this point, or will it make my other normal hairs dependent? Am I worrying unecessarily?

Best option

your best option is to have a consultation with a hair transplant surgeon who can examine your scalp and hair, and provide you with nonsurgical options as well as short term and long term plans. Your progress can be tracked with photographs and good follow up by the surgeon.

Chicago Physician

When you're worried, get a consultation for Hair Loss Treatment

Since you're worried, I recommend getting an evaluation with a hair loss expert to determine your condition and possible options if needed. Rogaine would need to be used forever to increase the hair growth and prevent its loss. Prp and progesterone injections to the scalp and/or hair transplantation are all great options. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Early thinning in the frontal and temporal areas

tinspire,

It does appear that there is thinning in the hair line and temple areas. I would recommend a consultation with a hair loss specialist to conduct an evaluation and get baseline data. A short and longterm plan should be made to stabilize the progression. 

Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

18 years old and very early receding of the hairline

Your biggest enemy is the progressive thinning leading to a balding pattern that is not evident at this point in time. The degree of thinning that you are experiencing would suggest that you should see a doctor who most likely will get Bulk Measurements of your hair to determine the degree of the thinning that you are presently having. If the diagnosis is early genetic hair loss (the most common cause of hair loss in young men), then the best treatment would be the drug finasteride which is highly effective in men of your age and may not only stop the hair loss but possibly reverse it. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern the HAIRCHECK test will determine the Bulk Measurements of your hair and put a number on that hair loss (a metric) and this will show, over a one-year time frame, how effective the treatment will be. Once you know this information, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN which will define what you need to do over the years to come.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss at 18 years old.

I recommend your visit with a hair expert to discuss your concern.  Hair loss is a progressive concern, if you don't treat it you will lose more hair.  Temporal hair loss may simply be maturing if your hairline or the on-set of hair male pattern baldness. The only way you'll get a answer is a visit in person.