Are these encapsulated seromas? (photo)

I am 3 months post it. I initially developed seromas at 2 weeks and were aspirated twice. I now have 2 hard raised areas in the same areas. The surgeon is telling me that there is muscle tearing to the right and left of the midline sutures and that I should have mesh put in. I'm thinking I have encapsulated seromas. I don't want to have mesh put in unnecessarily. Is it likely that these are seromas vs tearing?

Are these encapsulated serums

Thank you for your question. It is hard to tell from pictures and physical exam needed. Ultrasound will tell if you have seroma or other radiological tests. Please talk to your PS for evaluation. He/she knows how your body healing and he /she will pick the best option for you

Seromas vs. tearing

"Always listen to the patient"  If you had seromas before, it is likely you are right, and these are also seromas.  Simple proof is to have the doctor insert a needle in it and try to drain it. If it s a solid hernia, then nothing will come out.  Hernias in this area, especially bilateral, are very rare.  I would not advise mesh repair unless you can prove there is a hernia by CT scan or MRI.

Paul Silverstein, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon