I have hemi facial spasms which are treated with Botox. Can I have Juvaderm Voluma for cosmetic purposes with this condition?

Fillers and hemi-facial spams

Yes, you can have fillers while being treated with Botox for hemi-facial spasms.  Neurotoxins and fillers are usually injected into different planes of the tissue - one is injected into the muscle and fillers might be injected under the skin or in the skin. 

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Not a problem....

Hemifacial spasm  is not a contraindication to filler use.I would also advise that HFS patients after having botox for long periods of time can develop atrophic facial changes as the botox weakened the facial musculature. It is essential that you get balancing botox injection to the other side of the face to, otherwise asymmetry will be come inevitable.Best of luck with your treatment.

Daniel Ezra, MD, FRCS
London Oculoplastic Surgeon

Voluma in hemifacial spasm?

Of course, Voluma is fine to use in this condition. If is often done at the same time as Botox treatment. Treating hemifacial spasm with Botox requires an experienced injector.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

I have hemiface all spasms which are treated with Botox. Can I have Juvederm Voluma for cosmetic purposes with this condition?

Thank you for your excellent question.  Though you should clear treatment with your Botox injector there is no reason that you can not have Voluma placed for cosmetic purposes.  Hope this helps.

Hemifacial spasm, Botox, and Juvederm

Hemifacial spasm can be controlled with Botox, which weakens the muscles to decrease the severity of the spasm. Facial fillers like Juvederm Voluma are injected on the bone, often times deep to muscles. The important thing to consider is what the face looks like while at rest and while at spasm before injected the filler, because filler will affect the appearance of both. Safety comes first.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon