Do you take your time with your patients?

I read so many reviews about people making appts to meet with a potential Dr. and they see that the waiting room is crowded with new consults. And the wait time is hours. When they finally meet the dr, it's only for 5 or 10 minutes. I'm not interested in an office running a chop shop. I'm looking for a Dr. in Miami FL so that I can get a mommy makeover next year. I am coming from NY. So this is the beginning of my journey. Any one have any advice?

Stay here

I give all of my patients as much time as they need. I don't see a reason why you would need to go to Florida, when there are surgeons here that are every bit as good, if not better. See someone with at least 15 years of experience, no matter where you go. Hope this helps.Leland Deane MD FACSNYC, Garden City, Babylon, NY

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Taking time with my patients

I hear your complaint all the time. Many times this boils down to a scheduling problem, where we aren't given enough time to complete the paperwork and actually spend quality time with our patients. The more time you spend with one patient the longer the next patient may have to wait. I try to avoid this by giving my cosmetic surgery patients an hour appointment and do not double book appointments. I am happy to see you in my Fort Lauderdale office, ( I came here from Rockland County too!!)

Laura A. Sudarsky, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the good question.  As you can imagine, different plastic surgeons have different "styles" when it comes to practice management.  Ultimately, you will need to do your own  due diligence when it comes to selecting a board-certified plastic surgeon who can demonstrate significant experience safely achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with.  Then, based on your question, it will be important for you to narrow down your selection process and find a surgeon who spends significant time with patients before/after surgery.

Finding this combination may be easier said than done; many successful plastic surgeons have somewhat limited office hours ( given the many hours spent in the operating room). However, with enough research (online reviews or word-of-mouth referrals...) you should be able to find the plastic surgeon you are looking for.

Personally, I very much enjoy the time spent with patients before/after surgery;  I have also found that most patients appreciate the "social interaction" (bedside manner) on their potentially stressful journey of elective surgery.  Being able to provide patients with a sense of hope and confidence is part of the "job" I enjoy most on a daily basis.   Best wishes on your journey and for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Important to Seek an Experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Your procedures should always be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Taking time with all patients

Yes, I take an hour with each surgery consultation.  I feel they need to not only learn about the procedure, they need to learn about me and feel comfortable.  It is difficult at times when patients arrive late to keep things running on time, but my staff helps me with that.  We do not keep patients waiting for a long time, because their time is valuable, just as much as mine.  I respect the patients and can let them know by running on time.  Thanks for this great question!

Does the surgeon have time for me.

Thank you for asking about your surgery.
  • Like most conscientious plastic surgeons, I take pride in the following -
  • Minimal wait time for patients in a private setting
  • 30 - 90 minutes for first consultations, depending on the surgery
  • Frequent attentive care after surgery for the best result.
  • And my patient reviews speak for this approach.
  • Please look for a surgeon near you - out-of-town surgery should be a last resort and there are lots of excellent plastic surgeons in New York state.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Thank you for your excellent question.  Because an educated patient is the best kind of patient, I spend extensive time with any new consultation so that their questions are all fully answered.  This helps to reduce patient anxiety and allows them the opportunity to feel more comfortable with their decision to pursue surgery.  Hope this helps.

Spending time

Most good physicians will spend the appropriate amount of time with their patients discussing prospective surgery. You don't need to travel out of state unless you want to. Do your research and ask the office staff about wait times and actual consultation time. 

Cosmetic surgery consult

The consultation is the patient's opportunity to evaluate the practice and the potential surgeon to be your surgeon. There is hardly any cosmetic or reconstructive procedure that a surgeon can discuss and explain in less than one hour. We also see the patient at least one or two more times before the surgery date to re-discuss the plan and discuss the preoperative instructions and the post operative instructions and the many pages of the informed consent. The consultation is your opportunity to evaluate the practice seriously.However this is a two way street, if you confirm the appointment, then your obligation is to Shaw up on time to the consult. I can not tell you how many patients do not keep the appointment and now I have a hole of one hour in my schedule. If they call back for another appointment without explanation of why they missed the first appointment, we only block 15 minutes, based on their history od keeping their appointments. We both need  to respect the other person time. Good consultation starts with a full history physical examination, measurements when needed, discuss all aspects of the surgery, the potential complications, risks, and answers all your questions in detail. The plan for surgery, some aspects of the technique. This is done by the surgeon NOT the staff. Financial aspects and booking is done with the staff. You will be seen at least one more time to answer all questions and re discuss all your planned surgery, instructions pre and post surgery. How you can reach the doctor, home number, cell number and office .Prescriptions given, the preoperative history and examination by your family physician and blood work and EKG and further consultation with other specialist if needed for safety of the surgery.

Stay in NY

:Many of us give personalized service and spend as much time with you as we need. Production line plastic surgery is poor medicine. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD