Sudden Bulge on Hip 4 Weeks Post Op Mommy Makeover. Will it be there forever? (photo)

Tomorrow I'll be 4 weeks post op from a Mommy Makeover. Yesterday I noticed a large, hard bulge on my hip. It starts near the end of my incision and goes all the way around my hip (where there's no incision). It is somewhat hard and seemed to happen overnight! I am freaking out. Will this be there forever? Is there anything I can do to minimize it? I plan on calling my PS tomorrow, but any answers on this would be much appreciated.

Sudden Bulge 4 Weeks After a Mommy Makeover

It's possible that  the #bulge is #swelling or fluid. Healing will continue for 2-3 months for the early period. This includes some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation in the breasts may also be abnormal and scars will be evolve. Tingling, burning or shooting pains in the breasts will disappear with time and should not alarm you. It is simply a result of the regeneration of your sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage per your surgeon's permission may help. The purpose of the post-procedure #garment is to provide some gentle #support and to reduce swelling following a #TummyTuck or #Abdominoplasty. If it feels too tight or causes pain, take it off. Patients wear the #elastic garment for several weeks after surgery, as directed by their doctor. Some choose to wear it longer for several months for comfort.

If you have concerns about your #healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is best to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Get it checked out by your surgeon

Any sudden bulges should definitely be looked at by your surgeon. It is most likely swelling that has shifted in that location from the bunching up of the binder.  Do contact your surgeon to examine you but don't worry.

Sudden Bulge on Hip 4 Weeks Post Op Mommy Makeover

The lumpiness and hardness after a tummy tuck or liposuction typically persists at least 6-8 weeks after the surgery then slowly goes away. In my experience, daily massage of the hard areas makes the biggest difference in getting rid of it sooner rather than later. If this does not go away on its own, your surgeon should be able to correct this easily. Hope this helps. Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Dog ear will probably require surgical revision.

As swelling subsides a redundant projection of skin none is a dog ear may emerge. Because of the swelling is too early to tell but if this is the case it generally requires surgical revision.

Dog ears

The appearance is most likely to be the end of the scar which has the term "dog ear". The rest of your abdo may have been swollen and this area didn't stand out before but now the swelling has gone down it has become more noticeable. Often if liposuction has been performed in the flanks the tissue can also feel quite hard and I wouldn't be concerned.
It would be very rare for there to be any internal surgery performed directly on this area when performing a tummy tuck and I can't imagine that this is a seroma or haematoma but you are probably best to see your PS and be reassured.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Sudden pain and lump 4 weeks after tummy tuck

You probably have an internal suture being absorbed by your body.
If so, it will hurt for about 3 days, then pain subsides and swelling does too.
Call your surgeon to be sure he agrees. 

Sudden Hip Bulge After Mommy Makeover

The sudden appearance and hardness sound less like a dog-ear and more like a hematoma (blood clot) or seroma (collection of tissue fluid.) It could also be just scar tissue which would be pretty prominent at this point in the healing phase. Either way, don't freak out but do call your PS. An exam in his office should easily clarify the cause.

Robert J. Schwartz, MD

This is very common to happen is call dog ears, this could be done with local anesthesia, call your surgeon for a follow up.