Is my vaginal opening problematic? Are there any surgeries that can be done to remove this excess skin? (Photo)

I am 20 years old and for as long as I can remember (since I began performing vaginal assessments) I have had those loose pieces of skin surrounding the opening of my vagina. I know it's nothing serious medically, but I'm still somewhat concerned. I'm also wondering if there are surgeries that can be done to remove this excess skin? It hurts when I engage in sexually activity or put in tampons, but only in the beginning.

Hymenal remnant

Thanks for sharing.  Dr Castillo's answer is right on target.  The skin tags you see are the remnants of the hymenal ring.  Depending upon how intact they are they can either be removed in office or in the O.R.   Removal should lead to less discomfort with sex.  

John R Miklos MD

Is my vaginal opening problematic? Are there any surgeries that can be done to remove this excess skin?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  This extra tissue is a remnant from your hymen and can be removed with a small in-office procedure.  See your ob/gyn or plastic surgeon for removal if they are causing you discomfort.  Hope this helps.

Labia reduction

It's hard to tell just by photos, but your labia minora look within the normal range to me.  Most women have some degree of loose skin in that area although the anatomy varies widely between people.  I wouldn't be too concerned overall, and would only suggest surgery if you were very bothered by the appearance or had a lot of physical irritation with activities like bike riding or intercourse.  If you think you are interested in surgery, make sure you consult with an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon that has significant experience with the various labia reduction techniques.  

Robert Cohen, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question

I would advice that you consult a surgeon in your area for examination and full consultation for best recommendation.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Hymen remnants

Sorry to read that you have been disappointed with the results of surgery.  You appear to be a good candidate for a labia minor and clitoral hood reduction, possibly with some gentle fat transfer to restore lost volume.  Your best step is to arrange a review with a fully qualified plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns and options.

Vaginal Rejuvenation Surgeries Available

Candidates for #labiaplasty and #vaginal surgery include women concerned about the appearance of their genitals, or those who experience discomfort, pain or difficulty with sexual relations.  Moisture can create problems such as yeast infections. If your vaginal appearance makes you self-conscious or uncomfortable there are different options available which you would be able to determine more specifically in a consultation with a certified plastic surgeon.

Vaginal Rejuvenation or Vaginoplasty surgery can provide a more youthful appearance and function of the vulva and vaginal area.  For some women various effects cause their vaginal tissue and muscles to become stretched, which results in loss of strength and tone in the vaginal area.  This may result in decreased intimacy and sexual satisfaction. In some cases, the laxity of tissues can be visible. 

The lining of the vagina can be reduced, removing excess and redundant mucosa decreasing the diameter of the canal. The muscle ring, pubococcygeus, at the entrance or introitus can be tightened.  These procedures along with exercises such as Kegles can help keep the muscle tone in this area.  Aesthetic Vaginoplasty, in many cases, can increase friction during intercourse, giving women more control of vaginal muscles, increasing sexual satisfaction, while also creating a more attractive and appealing appearance to the vaginal area. Good luck!

Hymenal skint ags

We see these pretty often. This is typically done and removed in our office within our procedure room under local anesthesia. This will help both from an aesthetic standpoint as well as helping with discomfort during intercourse

Prominent Hymenal remnants

The area you are concerned about is the hymenal "ring" which has remaining tissue from the hymen after it separates to create the opening into the vagina.   Usually these tissues will shrink on their own but if you continue to be bothered by them, they excess tissue can be trimmed.  However, there is always a small chance that the healing from the area that is trimmed could form a firm area would be tender as well.

Best regards,

Dr Chapman

Hymen Remnants

The vaginal tags appear to be hymen remnants and are completely normal. If they are symptomatic, they can be removed. 

For more information, click on the link below.

All the best.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Is my vaginal opening problematic ?

Thanks for your question. As stated in previous answers, the extra tissue you are referring to is remnants from your Hymenal ring. The only time you should consider a surgical procedure would be in the case of hygiene, or issues with the use of tampons or painful intercourse. The procedure you would undergo would be determined by your Cosmetic-Plastic Gynecologist. Good luck and l hope you feel better.

Dr. John Serrao
Cosmetic-Plastic Gynecologist