Breathing difficulties after Rhinoplasty

I had a nose job April last year and ever since then I've had a blocked nose constantly. It's at it's worst when I sleep and when I first wake up I can't breathe out of my nose. Since then I've also felt exhausted... almost as if I'm getting bad quality sleep because of it. Is that possible?

Postoperative recovery after septorhinoplasty / nose surgery

Depending on the nose beforehand and other factors, breathing obstruction after rhinoplasty can be seen but agreed there are a number of potential reasons... indeed, breathing obstruction and quality of sleep are linked as well; hopefully if there a reason for the nasal obstruction that can be addressed to allow for more quality sleep..  best of luck

Nasal blockage after rhinoplasty

there are multiple reasons to experience difficulty breathing after rhinoplasty. It could be issues with your septum, the nasal sidewall, allergies, enlarged turbinates, etc. In order to determine the cause for the nasal blockage, I would make an appointment to see your rhinoplasty surgeon for a proper physical exam.

Sahar Nadimi, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Difficulty breathing after rhinoplasty

From the history you are describing, it does sound like you are experiencing nasal obstruction after rhinoplasty.  It is best to return to your surgeon to have them examine your nose.  There could be multiple reasons to have breathing difficulties after a rhinoplasty.  

Breathing after Rhinoplasty

Thanks your question and sorry to hear you are having this problem. There are multiple factors that contribute to difficulty breathing after rhinoplasty. A few possible issues is deviation of a septum, nasal valve collapse (weakening of cartilages that support the nose) and allergies/inflammation. First step would be to see your surgeon and have them evaluate the inside of your nose. Good luck!

Satyen Undavia, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Obstruction after Rhinoplasty

What you are describing is certainly possible after cosmetic nasal surgery. I would recommend to follow up with your rhinoplasty surgeon to be evaluated for the underlying reasons and to discuss possible ways of correcting your issues. 

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon