I'm 21 years old and feel like my breasts are very saggy. Should I consider a breast lift in the future? (Photo)

Considering a Breast Lift

Candidates for Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) surgery are women who have #saggingbreasts due to past pregnancies, genetics, or aging. Often times the sagging is too great to be treated by implants alone. Women with asymmetric or enlarged nipples or areolae (pigmented areas around nipples)  also may be candidates for a breast lift or a modification of a lift. #Asymmetric breast can be adjusted by adding or removing volume.  One side can be tightened more or less than another.

A mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used for breasts which sag or droop (ptosis). Sagging of the breasts may occur with normal development for some women, or as part of the aging process. Pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss are other conditions which increase breast ptosis. Some patients will have a better shape to their breast such as increased superior fullness if an implant is used at the time of mastopexy. The procedure can also be combined with a minor breast reduction to reduce the breast width if desired. The surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the procedure will create nipple and areolae of the desired size and at the correct height.

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. You are an excellent candidate for a breast lift whether you do it now or later. If you are planning to have children, your breasts will likely change with pregnancy so that would be a reason to wait. No implant is necessary as you appear to have enough volume to provide an adequate shape and cup size. Should you desire to be smaller, a reduction could be performed. Should you desire to be larger and not want an implant, fat grafts could actually be used to enhance and improve your overall shape as well. You would certainly do well with a short lollipop type technique as the excess scarring from the traditional anchor approach would likely be excessive. In any case, I would recommend a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in all these matters. Please see the attached video regarding the surgical approach to the differences in breast lift and reduction procedures. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr. Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Lipo-lift

I appreciate your question.

I perform a liposuction breast lift that removes tissue from the areas you don't want such as near the armpit and the lower portion hanging near your stomach. Once I use this to shape the breast I then remove the skin to tighten the breast and create a better shape with nice cleavage. Since I perform this less invasively the recovery time is faster. The size would depend on the proportion with your body versus going for a cup size.

It takes 6 weeks to heal and I wait 12 months before any scar revision.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

The choice is yours to make

This is really a choice that you have to make - no surgeon can tell you if you should have a breast lift in the future. If you dislike the shape of your breasts because you think they’re saggy, then you can consider a breast lift. If you like the shape of your breasts, then you don’t need to get a breast lift. 

Breast lift

I would recommend a breast lift now or in the future.  You would be a great candidate and lifting your areola and breast volume will help give you a better breast aesthetic.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Breast Lift in a young woman

A breast lift will reshape and firm your breasts.  Your nipple can be centred on your chest and the breast mound can be repositioned to be behind the nipple.  You will be left with incisions that will always be seen, but you will look better in clothing, be able to wear what you want without push up bras and feel happier with your shape every time you pass a mirror.

A breast lift is a good procedure for you and you can improve the asymmetry you have as well.

Atul Kesarwani, MD, FRCSC

Breast lift

Hello and thanks for your question. You should discuss your options with a BCPS during an in-person consultation. From your photos it appears that you'd benefit from a breast lift. 

Good luck

DrBurnett#realself100

Age 21. Candidate for a breast lift?

It seems that your major complaint is related to aesthetics and shaping and not pain, rashes and breast size.  After a consultation with a bd certified plastic surgeon, consider when is the best time for you to undergo a breast lift to narrow and raise your areolae and reshape and elevate your breasts.  For most young women the tradeoff of surgical incisions for the uplift and other benefits is worthwhile and very beneficial.  Good luck in your decision process....

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

A Lift Will Correct Sagginess

The goal of breast surgery is to create an aesthetic breast with the size, shape, and projection that is desired by the patient. During a breast surgery consultation, measurements of the breasts are used as a starting point to recommend a breast implant. 

Based on your pictures, your are correct that your beasts are ptotic (saggy). You also have a slight asymmetry - especially of the nipple position - but this is very common.

If you are happy with the size, a breast lift to adjust the nipple size and position is appropriate. If you wish the breasts to be smaller, a breast reduction will adjust the nipples and decrease there size.

A breast lift or reduction is often performed using one of three incisions. These include 1) an incision around the nipple areola (peri-areolar or donut), 2) an incision around the nipple combined with an extension down towards the breast crease (lollipop, vertical,  or short scar), or 3) a lollipop incision with an extension horizontally in the breast crease (inverted “T” incision or anchor).

The choice of incision is based on multiple factors including patient anatomy, surgical goals, surgeon preference, and patient preference. 

See the link below for more info on breast lifts.

A detailed examination will help delineate the best surgical treatment. Consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

I'm 21 years old and feel like my breasts are very saggy. Should I consider a breast lift in the future?

It appears that you also have excess breast  tissue .The weight of which is causing the sagging

You may want to consider a breast reduction as well as a lift

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon