How Successful is Keloid Removal, What are Chances of it Returning? (photo)

I have a keloid on my ankle that has been there for about ten years or so. It is the size of a quarter. I have heard about keloids resurfacing after removal. How successful do you think it would be for me? Thank you in advance!

Doctor Answers 4

Ankle scar, diagnosis and treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

First off, a keloid on the ankle would be very unusual, in fact unusual below the waist in generaly. This is likely a hypertrophic scar. Intralesional cortisone can be helpful, silicone gel sheeting can help a little, and a variety of lasers may help somewhat. Best to see your dermatologist to discuss the best treatment plan once the scar can be inspected properly for thickness, colouration etc.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Keloid vs hypertrophic scar

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I agree with the other here who called this a hypertrophic scar. I would NOT have surgery on this. You may turn it into a keloid if you do this!! Please consult a board certified dermatologist in your area. Keloids do what they want and surgery should not be considered the treatment of choice, especially in a scar over a moving joint!

Beverly Johnson, MD
Silver Spring Dermatologic Surgeon

Keloid on ankle

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From your scar history, I would call this scar a hypertrophic scar.  You can try lasers or steroids to see if this helps to soften the scar.  In addition, I would consider silicone sheets if you ever consider having this surgically removed.  A physical exam would help determine the laxity of the surrounding tissues to see if it is feasible to excise this and reap proximate the edges without risking the same history repeating itself.  I would look for a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to check it out.

Concern about scar near ankle

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your scar is in an area where there is no lax/excess skin. What is your concern? Is it symptoms? Appearance?

The answers to these questions will determine if anything should be done and if so, what. My recommendation is that you see a board certified plastic surgeon with interest in scars. 

Steven Turkeltaub, MD
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.