I got a tan before laser spot removal. Should I be concerned?

I got a tan 10 days before I got a laser treatment for brown freckles on my face. The doctor just treated me and didn't warn me about tanning. But now, having read that I should have avoided tanning, I am very concerned. My face doesn't feel burned or anything. How will I know if something bad happened? Will I have to wait for the scabs to fall off first?

Sun Tanning -- Minimize Exposure/ SPF30 BEFORE Laser Treatment

I suggest posting photos, but in general you should avoid sun exposure/burn/tan for at least 2 weeks before treatments.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Tanning and laser...

Thank you for your question.  This is a situation we deal with commonly in South Florida especially as it pertains to MedSpa's, etc. and is why you should only be treated by a Board Certified Dermatologist.  There are certain treatments that an expert Dermatologist can provide even while tan to treat brown spots, including some lasers that are safer than others, however ultimately it is best to wait for the tan to fade before treating.  Since you were already treated, now it is best to be religious with sunscreen use and aquaphor, and see what the results are after the scabs come off.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon