My Subpectoral Saline Implants Are Now Nearly 15 Years Old but the Right One

is now painful and has lost mass (dropping slightly more than left). I have been weightlifting and running a lot recently - does that have anything to do with it? Should I have new implants? If so, can I opt to have the new implants inserted above the muscle instead?

Doctor Answers 6

Revision Breast Surgery?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question.

Based on your description ( especially of the right breast symptoms)  it sounds like revision surgery may be necessary. This may involve replacement of implants and/or adjustment of breast implant pockets to improve symmetry. The pain that you are describing makes me think about the possibility of encapsulation.

Obviously there are many potential issues involved here.  It would be in your best interest to meet with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss options in detail.

Best wishes.

15 year old breast implants and desire to go from under to over

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

it sounds as if you are possibly having a partial deflation. Implants can be replaced and put into above the muscle.

Otto Joseph Placik, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 86 reviews

Implant position

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Without an exam it is difficult to say what exactly is going on.  If one has dropped more you may need a lift or a fold elevation perhaps.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Breast implants removed and placed on top of the pectoral muscle.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You should consult a local plastic surgeon regarding  your recent troubles.   Your implants are now submuscular and could easily be moved to the sub-mammary position.  I would think that a lot of your troubles are due to your new work out regimen.  Remember No Pain No Gain and this could be your problem.  Consult with you surgeon.

Gary H. Manchester, MD (retired)
San Diego Plastic Surgeon

Implant/breast pain

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you are experiencing pain with your right breast you should visit with a board certified plastic surgeon.  This will help determine if the pain is a result of your recent exercise or the breast/implant.  If it is necessary the implants can be replaced but I believe placing the implant above the muscle is a function of how much breast tissue you have.  If you have a good amount of breast tissue then it is plausible to place the implant above the muscle.

Dr. ES

Dealing with 15 year old, asymmetric Saline Breast Implants

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Regarding: "My subpectoral saline implants are now nearly 15 years old but the right one is now painful and has lost mass (dropping slightly more than left).."

The best advice I can give you is to be seen by a competent Plastic surgeon. It sounds like you may have either a scarring around the right implant (capsular contracture) or a deflated right breast implant. If this is the case, the implants could be removed, replaced (either with saline or silicone gel). The location would depend on the size of your breasts and the amount of coverage they can provide an implant placed over the muscle. This discussion is best held with a Plastic surgeon in which all your particular issues are addressed.

Dr. Aldea

Peter A. Aldea, MD
Memphis Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.